Walker Colt 1851 Navy?

SemperFi83

Inactive
I also posted this at THR...

I have a NIB Colt Walker trying to get a date of Manufacture and/or approximate value if you all can help.

Serial # 183XX
Cylinder engraved with a naval sea battle scene
"Engaged 16 May 1843" and "Engraved by W.L. Ormsby, New York" are also engraved on the cylinder
Octagonal Barrel
Caliber measured at .375
All serial numbers match
Blued barrel and cylinder
heat-treated frame and Loading Lever

Thanks in advance for any help...

model

No such thing as a "Walker Colt 1851 Navy" - so far as I know.

The 1851 Colt Navy is a 36 caliber and that Is apparently what you've got there.

The "Walker" was the second Colt model after the Patterson - 1847 being it's year of introduction and it's a big, 44 caliber revolver that weighs over 4 pounds.

Tell us what the markings are on the barrel - does it say Uberti, Pietta, etc.? Or is this a Colt Signature or other?

That'll help out a bunch.

It is a Colt Mfg gun

Thanks O.S.O.K.!

Markings on top of barrel only (except serial # on bottom) say "Address Saml Colt New York City."

The guy who owns it, who asked me to help "value" it for sale told me it was a .44 (I calipered it at .375) and he called it a Walker, but the limited research I did on the 'net tells me Navy '51

He also told me it was purchased in 1975, so I definitely think it is 2nd generation. I believe it is a "Colt" manufactured revolver (at least it says "Colt's Patent No.XXXXX on the cylinder).

It appears to be a "C" Series Colt 2nd Gen. 1851 navy.
Does it have a round back TG or a squareback TG?
Is the backstrap and TG silver plated?
What color is the box?
All these questions will help identify this piece.

Yep I'd say C Series Second Gen. Colt. NIB unfired,unturned Blue book of Modern Blackpowder Arms list it at 100% at $550.00,(100% is NIB unturned, unfired other words not touched and with all the paperwork from Colt.) and if the box is in immaculate shape that is worth a premium too.

I have a 4 digit 2nd Gen made in 1972. S/N started in the 4XXX range and went up. I'd say that it is a 1974 or 1975.

The Blue book of Modern Blackpowder Arms
COLT´S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC.
Current firearms manufacturer with headquarters located in West Hartford, CT.
Colt´s Manufacturing Company, Inc. is the previous manufacturer of 2nd Generation Colt percussion revolvers located in Hartford, CT. Colt used subcontractors to supply rough castings for the manufacture of these black powder pistols. Throughout the production years 1971-1982, these rough castings were produced in Italy and the reproductions were completed in the United States. Initially, Val Forgett and Navy Arms provided these parts/components during 1971-73. Lou Imperato supplied these parts from 1974-76. In both instances, these revolvers were assembled and finished in Colt´s facilities in Connecticut. Finally, from 1978-1982, Colt subcontracted both parts procurement and final production to Lou Imperato and Iver Johnson Arms in Middlesex, NJ. Colt percussion revolvers produced by Iver Johnson had frames, center pins, nipples, and screws manufactured in the United States. In all instances, these revolvers were manufactured in accordance with Colt´s strict specifications and quality control. Additionally, Colt´s performed final inspection for all models. All percussion models manufactured from 1971 through 1982, either by Colt or its subcontractor, are regarded as authentic Colt pistols and not Italian replicas.
The Colt Custom Shop also produced a limited number of special editions through the early 1990s from 2nd Generation production inventory. (Colt 2nd Generation models in the white are still known to exist.)

1851 Navy listed therein:
1851 NAVY "C" SERIES
- .36 cal. perc., 7.5 in. octagon barrel, hinged loading lever and six shot cylinder with roll engraved naval battle scene, "C" Series Royal Blue barrel and cylinder, color case hardened frame, loading lever, plunger, and hammer, silver plated brass backstrap and square back trigger guard, one-piece walnut stocks, 42 oz. This is the first series of second generation 1851 Navy revolvers produced. Serial number range 4201-25099. Mfg. 1971-78.
Grading 100% 98% 90% 80%
$550 $450 $350 $250
Last MSR was $200.
Note: The prices quoted above are for "C" Series 1851 Navy revolvers with wood grain cardboard box and styrofoam insert. "C" Series 1851 Navys with the early SAA style black flip top box in excellent condition command a $100.00 premium (serial number range 4201 to 5199). "C" Series 1851 Navys with the tan and brown flip top box in excellent condition command a $50.00 premium (serial number range 5200 to 12999).

Hope this helps

Thanks Again

Old Dragoon: I think you hit the nail on the head, thanks! The description you gave is exactly my friend's revolver...The amount of knowledge and the willingness to help a fellow gunnie on these boards is always amazing to me. Thanks Again!

Glad I could help.
I am still looking for another 2nd Gen 1851 1st model(squareback TG.) but I'm looking for one that is a 4 digit S/N like the one I just bought.
What I did to ascertain the mfg date (and it just a guess) I devided the total number of guns built in the S?N range and divided that number by the number of years. That is a close guesstamation of the year of mfg.

I don't know if the Colt s/n books list these new BP guns or not. I'll have to look at mine and see.

1851 Square Back Low 4 digits; 1st or 2nd Generation?????

In the 1851 Navy Colts with low 4 digit s/n's. What is the split between 1st and 2nd generation?

Thanks Johnny O.

1851 Navy Colt Originial 4-digit s/n

Thanks again for the pm. I have an interest in getting a rough estimate on the two Colts I have. I'm sure by the 112X s/n on the Navy that it was produced in 1850. I have an Army as well. I believe it to be a factory re-match. Both are in Excellent to Very Good condition. Any one have a rough guess??? Thanks Johnny O

Back