walker avenging angel

I've seen some nice ones chopped right there at the assembly portion. It's made me think that when I do get mine I'll need another barrel or two as one that's a handier 5-6" seems nice, but those shorties look good too!

Just goes to show you

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it a terrible thing to do to a Walker Colt. I'm just sayin.

Not to hijack the thread, but Gasman, how did you fade the finish like that? I would appreciate your method. Thanks.

Cutting the barrel of an 1851 makes it more of a belly gun, who knows how you conceal a cut down Walker.

And so the young lady says, "Gee is that a Walker in your waistband or are you just glad to see me"

Anyone have data on.....

Muzzle velocity for a hacked off Walker?

I think I can get around 1100 FPS from the nine inch barrel with a round ball.

That data might be helpful in estimating recoil.

You should be able to get well over 1100 fps with a ball from a Walker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA

Just 33 grns of 3F Triple 7 pushed a ball out of a ROA at 1062 fps, and that's a reduced load.

From the little bit of testing I've seen (side by side - same gun) Swiss, Olde Eynsford, and Triple 7 each give similar results (+/- ~50 fps) when compared by volume.

If you are using 60 grns of 3F and a ball and only getting 1100 fps you must be using standard Goex or some other weaker powder.

According to the research I've seen the powders used back during the Civil War were very similar to Swiss in performance. The pages are far too lengthy to post, but I'd be more than happy to email them to anyone wishing to see them. My only skepticism is his comparing it to T7 as I don't know that the pressures generated are similar enough despite the velocity figures being quite similar.

I think its cool! Though... Unless you are a really big person, I have to agree it would be hard to hide... Especially in summer.

It does bring up a question that has been bugging me...

Sometime in the future, I would LIKE make a belly gun out of either '51 or a '60. Would like to put the thunderer grips on it, and maybe have two barrel assemblies, one cut and one not. My question is, .44 or .36, or does it matter?

I know that barrel length is even more important in BP for velocity... I realize that the shorter the barrel, the less powder gets burned... So, reasoning that a .36 uses less powder to begin with, would using it help with more complete powder burn? Or is that just not the way it works?

I know its a little OT, sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, that question has just been bugging me for awhile now..

Back