Wal-Mart Remington 700's

golfnutrlv

I know this has been out there before, but can't find the old thread.

Is there any quality difference between a standard 700 and the Wal Mart version?

The rifle would be used as a donor for a custom build, so action and bolt is all i'm really concerned with.

I suppose the suspicion is that a WalMart 700 might not be up to the normal quality standards for the model. I do not know as I have no experience with guns at WalMart. I wonder, though, if the gun would indeed be labeled "Remington Model 700," why would Remington want to jeopardize their reputation by putting a substandard version in a discount store, or any other sales venue? I think WalMart is OK - I shop there a lot, but not for guns. I prefer to spend my gun allowance at a reputable gun shop that is trying to make a living by serving me with a good selection of quality shooting products.

Same quality for the same rifle. As a rule Walmart tends to carry only the most basic budget guns made by each manufacturer. You can get the upper end rifles at Walmart, but may have to special order it. A budget SPS from Walmart is the same SPS bought anywhere else. A top end CDL from Walmart is the same as a CDL bought elsewhere.

Walmart has ordered special runs of various guns over the years with unique features not available on standard guns. Not just 700's but Rugers and many other brands.

This is not unique to Walmart. Remington has made special runs of guns that were only available at Cabelas, Gander Mt., or at Dicks Sporting goods etc.

The rifle would be used as a donor for a custom build, so action and bolt is all i'm really concerned with.

You'd be better off buying a used version cheap.

As stated above post I bought my sps rem 700, at wm and now it wears the only orginal receiver all else has been replaced and upgraded. It was not to be this way but as I started to do small changes to it, transformed it became and is now my most one of my most accurate long guns sub-moa and its flavor is 30-06 due to the recoil of a semi-auto 5.56 and handloaded ammo it will bring a smile to all who shoot it at 300 yrs when they blow up water bottles as they explode using SST's or GMX's.

Last time I looked about a year ago---the Walmart one for $399 had the X Mark Pro trigger while the one at Scheels for the same money--didn't.

So much for the Walmart version being lesser.

Any Remington 700 made after 2007 has the new X Mark trigger regardless of where it is sold. Many big box stores including Walmart and K-Mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc buy guns by the trailer load and store them for years. I've seen guns sold at Walmart that were 5-6 years old. Bought a Marlin 336 from K-Mart once that was over 10 years old.

The difference is that Walmart kept marking up the prices each year on guns that had been in inventory for years. The K-Mart gun still had the 10 year old price tag on it and was a bargain. This was about the time K-Mart stopped selling guns in California. The guns in those stores were shipped to other states and sold there.

Thanks all for the replies. I went to Wal Mart yesterday, and they did not have the variety I was after. The gal at the counter told me they wanted $592 for a plain black SPS .308!!! :eek:

I can do better almost anywhere else. So maybe this is moot...

Anyone know what the current prices are at your local wally world?

usually they just barely meet LGS prices but twice a year they have a special sale at some stores where you can buy guns at cost, then they become amazing deals. other than those handful of days out of the year, it's better to just shop at your LGS.

They do get volume discounts when they place an order with a manufacturer. Same as any other gun store, but few mom and pop stores have the resources to buy 1,000 rifles at a time. Walmart does. The basic guns in their racks are often cheaper than a LGS because of this. If you go in and have them special order something it may well sell for more than your LGS. It just depends on the price they pay from a supplier on that day. Prices do fluctuate.

Customers often get mad because one store is $40-$50 higher on the same gun as another. They may actually be making less profit on the higher gun because of price fluctuations. Gun prices move up and down almost as often as gas and LGS's have to be careful not to buy when prices are high.

"Is there any quality difference between a standard 700 and the Wal Mart version?"

No; Walmart's are 'standard' 700s. Some volume outlets do occasionally order production runs of some items with unique features but no maker of anything is going to produce substandard products to be sold by Walmart (or anyone else) under their own name.

Back