Wal-Mart Discount?

banditgriot

Looking at ammo the other day at Wally World I noticed a sale price that couldn't be ignored. $57.99 for 100 rds of Remington 230 grain .45 ACP.
RIght next to the big box of 100 were two boxes of 50 rds (same type) for 24.99 each. Do you think Wal-Mart is conducting an IQ test of its shoppers or what?

Do you think Wal-Mart is conducting an IQ test of its shoppers or what?
They generally have a standard mark up, and probably got a better deal on the smaller boxes by ordering more

Prices can fluctuate, and distributors sometimes run deals

I think Snyper has it right. They probably have a computer system that takes the price they paid and adds a standard markup. It takes human intervention to look at an oddity like this type of packaging and manually adjust the price for it.

Stuff like that happens a lot, and not just at Walmart. Old stock/new stock and price changes. An item comes in and is priced at $24. By the time the next shipment comes in the price may have gone up, or down drastically. Sometimes they re-price the old stock to match the new prices if there is an increase in price on the new stock.

If the price drops dramatically on an item the store is left in an odd position. If they reduce the price of their old stock to match new stock they could well be selling it at a loss. The higher priced item usually sits on the shelf till they are sold out of the less expensive stuff, or prices go back up.

Walmart uses a set percentage markup. See Sam Walton's book. I think he states 26%.

When I sold my computer store the new owner couldn't believe we had 300% markup on some items and 10% on others and we were still in business.

Anyway the wholesale price of the smaller box is likely less per round than the larger one. It pays to pay attention!

Mel

From recent Wally World grocery shopping:
1 pound butter 2.88, package of 2 identical 6.18
8 burritos 2.87 or so, 16 burrito package same brand/type 6.29

Common theme. I suspect it may be management betting many of the customers can't do basic arithmetic very well.

A friend of mine used to own a convenience store. He priced packages of a popular snack cracker at 25 cents a pack, or three packs for a dollar. Guess which way he sold the most. Yep, you guessed it...........

Walmart

Walmart is doing this a lot it seems. Just yesterday I noticed:

Halloween Candy (small Hershey Bars) more expensive per bar in the larger bags. The 18 Pack Eggs cheaper per egg than the huge case of 60 eggs in the same size. Dog food cheaper in the smaller quantity bags. Seems you cannot assume the larger size is more economical.

As stated above, lots of Walmart shoppers aren't very smart. If it's at Walmart, it must be cheap, right?

I find this kind of pricing very common in Walmart as well as other stores. It is no longer automatically less expensive to buy in larger quantities. I try to always check price per unit, not total price of package.

This is a little bit off-topic - sorry - but just for giggles I checked my local Wally World today for .22LR. I was floored when I saw one Winchester M22 (never heard of it before) box of 1000 .22's for $50-something. That works out to a little over $5 per hundred - just like the old days. The only (small) downside is it had 2-500 round boxes inside - and the ammo is loose-packed. I haven't had the nerve to open it yet but the box states that the bullets are black copper-plated ... kinda odd.

Wow - Good catch Snyper - Thanks! Needless to say I will be checking mine for the recalled lot numbers... I went back to Wally's today - to get some jumper cables - and they had two of the 1000-rd boxes in the cabinet. I'm glad I didn't have $53 to throw at another box (not till the end of the month anyway ... ;) )

Back