W00t! RCBS Pro Melt returns!

stubbicatt

About a month ago I returned my RCBS Pro Melt for warranty work. The thermostat didn't work, and the pot would just turn off, and the melt would solidify. Took nearly a month for them to fix it. But it came home yesterday, and I can see a casting session in my near future.

I had casted a bunch of 357 bullets awhile back, but I cannot find them anywhere. Maybe I shot 'em, but I don't think I did.

So, I guess I'll start with casting a bunch of boolits for my lever gun first thing. That and some 45's.

Glad to have it back.

A month without a ProMelt!!! :eek: That would seem like a long time. I have to fire mine up at least once per weekend, usually twice. I would be lost!:cool:

Now I understand why the Pro Melt is so highly regarded. It does a really good job of maintaining a consistent temperature, the spout for bottom pour does not drip, and shuts off positively when the valve handle is released. Flow rate is easily adjusted and consistent. It is a wonderful piece of kit.

My initial disappointment has been replaced by great satisfaction. Too bad it took a month to repair.

I only did one mod on my Pro Melt. That was to put a spring under the flow control screw between the handle and screw bracket.. A spring that is just big enough to fit around the flow control screw.

I did that one too. When I bought mine, a buddy of mine that had a ProMelt said it would be a good idea, so I did that when I assembled it. :)

Vance and Beagle333, is this to assure a positive seal of the valve to the spout?

Man, I love this pot.

I used a Lee Drip O Matic for 20 years or so now, and I found it usable, but this RCBS is really very much nicer. Of course it is much more expensive, but it is so much nicer to use.

Now to figure out how to plug up the spout on the Lee and remove all that bottom pour apparatus, so I can use it for ladle dipping my rifle bullets. I'm sure there's instructions somewhere on the internet.

I use the spring to provide a positive feed back of valve closing. Not depending on weight of handle alone.

On the Lee pot, empty it, remove all the bottom pour hardware, then drill and tap for a machine screw, then screw in the machine screw until tight. That should seal off the spout well enough so it doesn't leak.

On my Lee 20#, the spout simply unscrewed out of the bottom of the pot. Then I just put a stainless bolt and washer in the hole with a stainless nut and washer on the bottom. She's been great for dippin and small time smelting of my specialty batches and small solder ingots ever since!

Back