W&C Scott shotgun....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I was at a friend's house and saw a shotgun his dad brought back from Europe slightly post WWII.

It's labelled on the rib:

W&C Scott, XXX Shaftesbury Ave, London.

The frame is also marked W&C Scott. Proofs include a crown with the letters BV underneath.

The forearm is missing, but the bbls,stock and receiver are in good shape. I suspect this is a Belgian trade gun, but quality and finish are excellent. I also suspect short chambers, but didn't check them.The stock has the Prince of Wales type grip, and a butt plate of anonymous origin.

Anyway, is this a decent shotgun and worth trying to replace the forearm, and is there any possibility of getting one w/o spending an arm and leg?

Thanks...

Thanks...

Hey Dave, A crown with BV underneath was used by the Birmingham proof house for guns built after 1904. Though the rib carries a London address, it was built in Birmingham, where about all English boxlocks were built, and sold through a more prestigious address. A new forend, huh? Try Gunshop.com and ask. Somebody there will surely know.

Thanks. According to Gunshop.com, this was built about 1910.It appears to be English, all right.

I've an idea there's few spare forearms out there floating around,and getting a new one custom built would be expensive.

Dave, I'd call David Travallion (sp) first and ask him about the forend. He's very pricey and very, very good but likely to put you on the right track. Also try Rod Hill in Bozeman. Both guys can be reached through gunshops' directory.

Thanks, got a call into Gentleman Hunter and also Albright's. Albright's has a W&C Scott 10 ga there, and the smith, Greg Wolf,may have enough parts to make one up.

Dave McC:
According to my records, William Scott served an apprenticeship with Bury St. Edmunds gunmaker, possibly Ben or Charles Parker. In 1865 the firm contributed to the perfection of the English gun by developing the standard spindle which connects the Purdey bolt to the top lever. They no longer trade.

The forearm, if you have the iron, should not be to difficult to make. If you don't have the iron it will have to be designed. ($$$$) If I am not mistaken this gun had a splinter forearm, (very small) and to inlet the iron can be done by hand. That is of course Unless, the forearm has a release lever inlaid. Then this is a horse of a different color. ($$$$)

HJN

Thanks, Harley. The whole assembly is missing, iron and wood. The quotes I've gotten are for way more than my friend is likely to spend.

Back