VZ24 sight removal.

Jms920

Im trying to remove the front and rear sights from my rifle. The front protector came off easy enough but the sight itself appears to be part of the barrel. Is it removable?
I knocked the pin out of the rear sight and removed the ladder but again, the base appears to part of the barrel. Is it removable?
Thanks,
Jim

The sight bases are most likely silver soldered on.

Properly applied propane heat to soften the solder after removing any base locating screws that enter into the barrel (to maintain sight base alignment).
When the solder is sufficiently softened, the bases just tap off.

Each sight base should have one such screw. The front one is under the front sight itself (or at least it is on a 98K).

My take, JT

The front sight base should have a screw that will be visible when you drift out the sight blade. The rear sight base is soft soldered on (not silver soldered) so you don't need too much heat to remove it.

Jim

Ok, in case anyone is interested, this is how I got my front sight off. Removed sight protector. Knocked out sight blade left to right. Removed sight base sleeve locating screw. Heated sleeve with my propane torch and knocked sleeve off. Still haven't budged the rear sight base.
Top to bottom: sight protector, sight blade, sleeve screw, sight base sleeve.
imagejpg1-1.jpg

The barrel end with sleeve removed.
imagejpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Back