VVN310 use for 9-122 vs .38-148wc

BJung

Does anyone have experience using VVN310 for 9-122, .38-148wc, or .38-150swc? I've read that the Clays load data is about the same. Which would you guess would make a more accurate load with this fast powder?

Looking back on my records from the summer of '15, I did some workups using N-310 with 148gn DEWC's. Specifically, these were Missouri Bullet Co's "soft" cast Double-Ended Wad-Cutters.

I settled on 2.7gn; yielding a velocity of 717.6 f/s with a Standard Deviation of 7.37 from a 30 round sample. Gun was a Smith model 67 with a 4" bbl. Winchester primers. Starline brass. OAL = seated to the crimp groove :p Taper crimped (I taper crimp all my lead and plated 38 ammo. Only the +P HP's get a roll crimp).

That's a pretty impressive SD for a 30 round sample. I used this ammo in IDPA competition (yes, I shot a speed loader fed revolver in IDPA. No, I wasn't competitive, but I had fun ;)) It was and excellent straight shooting round.

It has been my experience with handgun ammo at handgun distances, accuracy is mostly a function of the bullet itself and has little to do with the other particulars of the ammo. In the case of these soft lead slugs, accuracy was excellent.

Can I assume that a .38-150 swc with 2.7gr N-310 shoot just as well through your 4"bbl if the only difference was 2grains in bullet weight?

did you work up a .38-148 DEWC with Bullseye?

Yes. I've used Bullseye a lot with this slug (or very similar) for years (decades, actually). My most recent (July '15) "field test" (meaning, just a test of production rounds, and not for a load work up) shows 2.8gn Bullseye, yielding 724 f/s, with a SD of 9.48. So yes, it was an excellent shooter too. Basically equal. And I no doubt used it in competition.

Can I assume that a .38-150 swc with 2.7gr N-310 shoot just as well through your 4"bbl if the only difference was 2grains in bullet weight?

I would assume so.

Looks like I did a work up in Oct '15, using a Matt's Bullets .359" 150 "LWC." That's what I called it - an "LWC" - Lead WadCutter. I don't know what Matt called it :D. I tend to rename bullets to suit myself in my work ups. My recollection of this bullet is vague. Anyway, I used 2.7gn of Bullseye and it yielded a velocity 731 f/s, with a very respectable SD of 8.12. Continuing to look back in my logs (you're welcome ;) :D), I see that I never loaded this 150gn slug with N-310.

I also see that since it was a hard cast bullet, I decided to finish off my supply (I bought 1000, I believe) pumping them up a bit with AA5. looks like I did a work up to 6.0 grains @ 989 f/s, 7.40 SD. 5.7gns yielded 957 f/s, 7.70 SD. But I settled on 5.6 grains as the "set" loading for the remainder of the bullets; although I never actually chronographed them at that charge weight. And I don't recall why I settled on 5.6 grains - my notes don't specify. Knowing me, I probably just liked the feel of them at 5.7 grains, and I tend to settle on even numbers; so 5.6 it was. These were purposed for range shooting.

Back