Vulnerability & assessing threat

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
From a self defense perspective how do you measure your level of vulnerability? Dose anyone have a preplanned formula for assessing threat situations?

I have heard, and agree, that one of the key elements in self defense is being “aware” of the world around you and your proximity to others. This however, is pretty vague once a situation begins to develop. I am interested if anyone has, through experience or training, developed a method or guideline of assessing an individual’s level of vulnerability?

For me, something that may not be a threat to a healthy person, with the ability to run or fight with less than lethal force, becomes a very serious threat to me. (being disabled) So, something that would not threaten your life, or seem very serious to you, can become very serious for me, as my options and odds are greatly reduced. What I'm trying to say in my rambling way is that you need to decide on what you will or will not take as a direct threat to your life or health. Each situation must be assessed individualy, based on the circumstances. Above all, make sure deadly force was your only option. I try to 'know' the places I will be. Where are the exits, windows, phones, ect. But I realize this is not always possible.

Geeez....I wonder if I even answered your original question.
(this is what happens with 5 hours sleep in 2 days) :o

I've heard passing reference to "situational awareness", which I believe some folks are trained in - or receive training as part of some shooting training.

Personally, I have no official training in this field, so I can't be much help. :)

Scott, . . . in trying to answer your comment: "I have heard, and agree, that one of the key elements in self defense is being “aware” of the world around you and your proximity to others. This however, is pretty vague once a situation begins to develop."

You are 100% correct. I use the "aware" part of it to define for me where I am, what I am doing, my posture, my position, . . . and some of it goes to habits I have developed.

1) I will not sit at a table in a restaurant that is out on the floor. A booth or a table along a wall, preferably with a view of both entrance & exit and the cash register (remember Wyatt Erp).

2) I park where I can see my vehicle and can walk up to it with plenty of light.

3) I don't wear a glove on my shooting hand, nor do I button my coat if I am carrying.

4) If I am with someone, I try to keep them on my left (I am right handed) or just in front of me, . . . that way if something happens, I don't spend precious time figuring out where everyone is.

5) I am generally "looking" or "threat scanning" no matter where I am, . . . mall, Wally World, church, wherever. It takes a bit of time to develop this habit to where it is second nature, . . . but it is worth it.

6) I know that if I see 2 or 3 or more "gang" types in a location, . . . I am not going there. Walk on the other side of the street, . . . etc.

7) I will not knowingly go into a store that has a "Brinks" typs truck parked out front.

There are many more little habits I have developed, . . . and sometimes I slip, but generally, the habits are designed to keep me advised of what is going on around me, who is around me, where are they, do they have threat potential, am I in a place where I have compromised my security, . . .

Most of this has been developed from former military training, some books I have read (an old black & white western or two) and other sources. But most important of all, . . . it keeps me alerted to my surroundings.

And yes, . . . the tactics are somewhat vague, . . . but if you do enough of them, enough of the time, they are all designed to keep you away from the place where you may become a statistic, . . . or have to use deadly force. A new one for me here in Ohio, . . . do not patronize places that post against CCW. Most dangerous place in town.

May God bless,
Dwight

A new one for me here in Ohio, . . . do not patronize places that post against CCW. Most dangerous place in town.

Too true Dwight. I have noticed tho, at least out here where I am, (about 40 min. East of Cincy) that most of the places that originally had signs up are taking them down. People have complained alot, and places lost conciderable business. I still will not go in anywhere I see the sign.

I stopped for gas the other day. Got gas, walked up to pay....sign. Crap.
I wear a shoulder rig, and as it was cold, had coat, so taking it off was not an option, nor was taking the gun out and leaving in truck. In my pickup there is noplace to 'lock' anything. So I thought for a second, and as I have a handicapped sticker, I pushed the little intercom thing and asked someone to come out and get my money. They sent someone out, and then after I paid them I told them exactly why I wouldn't come in, or come there for gas in the future....

People who go about in "condition white" have a MUCH higher likelihood of becoming victems of violent crime. Its not paranoia to keep your head up and your eyes open to what's going on around you, its just good sense.

Hey, Derius, . . . keep up the good work.

I got burned once on the "No CCW" sign. They put a 2 or 3 inch sign on the inside of the tinted window, behind the door handle. I saw the sign after I got inside, . . . excused myself and left. Gonna be getting a new barber too.

You hit the nail on the head for alertness, Dusty, . . .

Y'know, . . . I wonder how in the world most of the folks I know would have ever survived 100 years ago. Guess they probably would not have. I sometimes even wonder how some got into the gene pool. They walk around like they are in some kind of a force field cocoon of "State Farm" protection or something.

Anyway, . . . gonna get off the soap box.

May God bless,
Dwight

Can someone review - or point to a place for a person to learn about - the colors thing, such as "condition white", etc?

W for white, Y for yellow, O for orange, and R for red.

• WHITE represents total situational unawareness. Most people are in WHITE
  • YELLOW represents that you are aware of the surroundings.
  • ORANGE mean that you have recognized a potentially dangerous situation or person.
  • RED means you must take overt action to save your life or the life of others.

:) Actually you're rignt on the money with your initial assessment of personal awareness. The only thing I'd add is that there is a subtle direct correlation between spatial distance and personal reaction time; consequently, it is always good to be intimately aware of how close others are to you; and to be acutely wary of anyone who attempts to move in on your strong side.

Here's Cooper's color code:

http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/color.htm

Remember, in many instances, distance = reaction time! If the other guy is inside 12 yards you've got a potential problem. If he's at, or inside, arm's length you HAVE a problem; and it may, already, be too late!

If you do this sort of thing for a living, learn to, 'quarter' other people with your strong side away from them; and don't be hesitant to say things like; 'Please stand still;' or, 'Step back, please!' The other one I like is; 'Please show me your hands!' ;)

I read this question a little differently, and I will answer in that fashion.

When do I feel more vulnerable?

Anytime my vision and my protective bubble of space is compromised, whether due to darkness, crowds, hallways, etc....

Anytime my hands are occupied, whether by carrying something, fixing something, etc.....

Anytime I have someone with me who I have an obligation to protect, such as my daughter or my wife.

Anytime my job takes me to the seedy side of town, which is fairly often. Especially when I must exit one of the buildings on the seedy side, and approach my vehicle. That is my time of extreme alertness, and I try to never exit the same way I went in.

By recognizing what makes me more vulnerable, I am able to find the best solution and decrease the vulnerability. All to often people do not realize when they are more vulnerable. The best way to survive is to avoid threats. To avoid threats you must be aware.

Not Disagreeing,

with the aforementioned posts, but I think we might all be surprised (or have already been) at the degree to which our senses avaluate the threat for us without us needing to do much. At least they send the singles if we're alert enough to receive them. And sometimes the single is too overwhelming to ingnore. Be alert, so you don't miss the signal.

When the time comes you will most likely go from condition lazy to condition brown in very short order.

I have, on a traffic stop gone from casual cop asking for a license to gun out ready to shoot in a matter of a split second or two because of actions inside the car and that’s about how fast it will happen in real life, once in a blue moon will you be given the opportunity to watch the situation evolve and realize it as it happens.

It will just happen, that fast.

Back