Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44

NHSHOOTER

I have yet to check out a Vortex scope first hand but I hear good reports. Any thoughts on the Crossfire versus the more expensive models?

I bought that same scope and got a bad one so I returned it. It was completely blurry. Could not adjust the eye piece to get clear sharp cross hairs and could not adjust the AO to get a clear sharp target. The display one at the store looked great and I also looked at 2 of them in Cabelas and both looked great. I just happened to get a bad one. I called Vortex and they emailed me a return label to have it fixed or replaced, but I opted to just return it to the store. I figured why send a brand new scope back for repair, it should have been right from the get go. I will buy another one in the spring but check it out in the store to make sure it is right before I pay for it.

I have a 2-7 on a marlin 30-30. Good glass but the focal length changes as you vary the magnification.

They have good reputation for Customer Service, but I would get the Diamondback if I had it to do over again.

So that you know where I am coming from, I'm a vortex fan boy without a doubt. I own 2 crossfires, 2 Diamondbacks, 6 vipers, 1 razor, 4 strikefires, 2 sparcs, their ranger 1000 rangefinder and a pair of diamondback binos. Man, I didn't even realize it was that bad until I went through all of them in my head, oops.

That said, I would pass on the crossfire line for any shooting beyond 100 yards. While the scope is certainly serviceable, it is light years away from even their Diamondbacks, let alone the vipers or above. The glass is comparable to other "budget" offerings from the big names, but I have found an incredibly small eye box on the crossfires and a bit of bluriness at high magnification. My 2 track well and are 100% reliable and repeatable.

But for not a whole lot more money, you can step up to the diamondback series and get more than your money's worth in my opinion. And while I do not know your purpose for the scope or your financial plan for the gun, I'd recommend holding out for a viper. Midway has the 6.5-20x44 on sale in the low $300s quite often. The viper series is my personal favorite in terms of overal quality and bang for your buck, but I would not hesitate to put a diamondback on a rifle for anything that requires shots under 500 yards.

My 2 crossfires sit on 22s due to the shortcomings I mentioned above.

Back