Visiting California: Need help finding applicable laws

LittleHouse

Inactive
I'm taking an upcoming road trip to California. I think I'm clear on the (horribly restrictive) vehicle and carry laws. Can somebody help point me to general "possession" and home defense laws?

For instance (all related to handguns)...

Do I need to have any sort of proof of ownership (or god forbid register the darn thing) as a visitor?

Can I keep a loaded handgun while occupying a hotel room (assuming it's not prohibited by the hotel)?

How about while camping?

And while staying at somebody's house?

Again, just looking for legal references...I did a bit of searching and found nothing, so I'm taking the lazy shortcut and hoping TFLers can help out. :)

Do I need to have any sort of proof of ownership (or god forbid register the darn thing) as a visitor?

No.

Can I keep a loaded handgun while occupying a hotel room (assuming it's not prohibited by the hotel)?

Yes.

How about while camping?

You can have a loaded gun at your campsite, as long as your campsite is not in a restricted area.

And while staying at somebody's house?

Unless "somebody" is prohibited, it's OK.

Don't bring any magazines over 10 rounds. Don't bring any handguns that accept magazines in front of the trigger guard.

While California has crazy gun laws, the craziness is pretty much limited to "buying" and "carrying".

Many years ago, Johnny Cash sang a song about a mother's words to her son.

"Leave Your Guns at home son, Leave your guns at home".

Darn good advice

Back