Virus warning for AOL users

Grayfox

Please take a minute to read this, and then send it to any other AOL folks
you know...

It will come to you as.......
"America online year 2000 Update"
it will have a File: Y2KFIX.EXE (41229 bytes)
DL Time (115200 bps): < 1 minute

DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT, ITS A VIRUS !

1) IF AOL WANTED TO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM, THEY WOULD
DO IT WHILE YOU WERE ONLINE, NOT THIS WAY
2) IF AOL WERE TO DO IT THIS WAY THEY WOULD JUST SEND
YOU AN EMAIL TO CONTACT THEIR WEBSIGHT AND THEN
DOWNLOAD THE NECESSARY FILE

FORWARD TO "TOSEMAIL1"

THE REST OF IT GOES AS FOLLOWS:

Hello, I am Richard Brunner of the AOL TECH Team and we have recently finished work on this project which is the AOL Year 2000 Update. The function of this program is to make your AOL version completely compatible with the year 2000 bugs that will occur on most computers. This program will work on Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Macintosh. It has been made to be as user-friendly as possible.

You just have to:
1. Double click on the icon
2. Restart your computer
and your computer and AOL will automatically be updated. If you
experience
any problems with this file please report them to this e-mail address.

Thanks for your time,
Richard Brunner
AOL Tech Staff
emp#104586027 >>

Hello to all my AOL friends... Today while I was online an AOL Billing
information error screen popped up on my screen.

It looked very legit. It said my billing cycle was up and they needed more info.
It had numerous boxes for me to fill out. i.e.: Name, address, Town, State. On one side and Credit Card Info on the other... Card, number, Expiration Date, Card holder name. The upper right hand box was whited out I could not X out of this.

It had a "Submit" box to click. When I did that (I had not filled out ANY info) . It gave me an error requesting my name. I called AOL. THIS IS NOT AOL. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE "MEMBER SERVICE'S"

INFO ... do not ... DO NOT FILL ANYTHING IN. YOU MUST "CONTROL,
ALT, DELETE AND GET OUT OF AOL AND RESIGN ON"...

PLEASE INFORM ANY OF YOUR OTHER BUDDIES ONLINE. I RECEIVED TWO OF THEM. PLEASE. IT'S SOMEONE TRYING TO GET YOUR INFO. IT IS NOT AOL..................

And one more...

If you get a flashing IM, DO NOT reply or delete,
but sign off immediately and re-sign on!
Then change your password immediately. If you are unable to sign on, call AOL !!!
The number is: 1-800-827-6364
The Flashing IM is a password stealer.
This has been confirmed by AOL.

PLEASE FORWARD TO EVERYONE
YOU KNOW >> >> >>

Funny, I always thought AOL *was* a virus...

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

OK, wise guy, I know, I know. Wife and kids are happy with it and don't wanna change. I'm pretty much stuck unless I want to deal with them getting all PO'd. Sometimes surerender is the better option.

Hey, no offense intended, GF. :)

Could be worse... you could be on...

WebTV!!! (insert scary violin music)

Regarding virii and their creators... well, I'm normally a pacific kind of guy. Normally. Not with those little no-life-having wanton-destruction-loving I'm-gonna-trash-the-machines-of-complete-strangers-just-because-I-can-so-there PISSHEADS.

No, I don't have strong feelings on this issue...

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."

Coinneach,

Perhaps it's time you stop beating around the bush and tell us how you *really* feel about virus writers! ;) :)

(chuckle) Coinneach, are there any issues on which you do NOT have strong feelings?
(chuckle, chuckle, chuckle)

Oh. This isn't really Dennis. This is somebody else - ANYbody else!! :D :D

Dennis, I must admit I don't give two sh!ts about, say, the comparative cleaning power of Era vs Tide... :)

And if you guys think I'm death on virus writers, y'oughta see some of the things I've done to spammers. :D

------------------

Coinneach,
I knew you were kidding and I was kidding back. No sweat man, we cool. :) BTW: I'm glad you're out there to watch over us "electronically challanged." Sic 'em boy! grrrrr! :)

See there, try to post a warning, do folks a favor and this is what happens. I guess its true. No good deed goes unpunished. :D :D :D

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited November 19, 1999).]

Grayfox, You, the leader of your family, should(no must) eliminate this aol infection from the midst of your loved ones. It is one of the most identifiable infections known to cyberspace. The young ones will adapt quickly to the freedom of an alternative with little pain. So shall you!

No offense to anyone, but if you can, get off AOL. From the perspective of internet security, it's like pouring gasoline on an open fire.

$.02

Another good reason to dump AOHell is that over the last several months they have been cancelling all home pages that deal with shooting. Cowboy meets, gun smithing, camp perry meets, Olympic team training, is all the same to these gun-grabbing weenies. Dump them and let them know why.

Back