Virginian Dragoon takedown manual

Specop_007

Inactive
Recently picked up an InterArms Virginian Dragoon in .44 mag. I'd like to take it down to clean it, but not sure how to go about doing that. I can pull the rod that runs through the cylinder out until it catches on the tab for the cartridge ejection rod but the cylinder still doesnt come out. Definitely loose and wiggles around but doesnt "fall out" and I'm afraid to use much force.

Anyone have an owners manual they can share?

Thanks

:)

Are you pulling the cylinder rod all the out untill it is free of the firearm. The Dragoon cylinder rod had two notches, one a retaining notch and another used as a safety. Are you freeing it from both detents? Just an ideal.

I'm actually pulling the rod out as far as it will go, which is most of the length of the barrel. The rod will come out to the tab for the ejection rod.
I took a before/after pic here

Normal
Rod "out"

The cylinder rod pulls out as far as the tab for the cartridge ejection rod. I would assume the cylinder would come out pretty easily, but it still seems to be hung up on something.

I didnt know if it was the rotation mechanism that rotates the cylinder when you pull the hammer back or not, and dont want to start removing screws in case I end up with a pile of parts I cant get back together.

And if that doesn't do it, go ahead and remove the screw that holds the ejector rod housing in place. Easy job and should not cause nay headaches.

Also the cylinder rod is extra long on the dragoon because it gos all the way thur the rear of the frame. with the hammer cocked , pushing on the cylinder pin will cause it to move back and lock the hammer. They did that to get past the import restritions. Why you would want a safety on a single action beats the he** out of me.

Thanks Rjay, you hit it.
I had to cock the hammer all the way back, then the cylinder dropped right out!

Time to do some cleanin, thanks! :)

Back