virginian dragoon grips?

I have the same question....

I brought a new and unfired SS 7 1/2" Virginian Dragoon 44mag. that I purchased about 15 years ago out of the safe for use today. I thought it would be a "piece of cake" to find better shooting grips for this gun. I thought something made for Ruger, Colt SAA or one of the many clones would fit ...... Not!!!

It seems the grip frame is wider than most similar SAA's and nothing available from the major grip mfgs will fit. I took the gun to several gun stores for grip fitting and discovered nothing worked....

I don't recall if Pachmayr made their grips for Dragoons when these guns were being produced. If they did they too have long been out of production and finding used ones would be our only apparent option There is no reference in the 2009 Midway or several other firearms catalogs that indicate stocks are available from anybody for this revolver..

If you or someone else on this board finds a workable option I'd sure like to hear about it. If not they may have to be custom made....

TC

Oh, yes. Pachmayr did make Presentation grips for them. I owned one in SS and 7 1/2". They were awesome guns, and stronger than either the Colt or the Ruger, being beefed up a full 10% more, even in the cylinder walls. Mine shot great, and I miss her dearly, so if you can't find grips for yours.............

-7-;)

I agree with your assessment of the Virginian Dragoon, A7mmnut... It is a superbly finished and well engineered pistol I would compare favorably to any single action ever built... I have long been a collector of new and unfired S&Ws and only have a few pistols from other manufacturers, the Interarms Virginian Dragoon is one of them.

I want to make this gun a shooter but I'll need different grips to do it. Many years of shooting heavy loads of 44 mag in S&W handguns has destroyed the second joint of my middle finger (trigger guard pounding). It doesn't bend anymore, hence the need for better fitting grips.

If I don't find better grips I will be putting the gun up for sale at some point. As indicated above, it is new in the original box and unfired by me. I am its original owner.. Keep in touch if you'd like to make an offer..... :)

TC

I most certainly will, TDC. We have a gunshow again this weekend pretty close to home. I was just thinking, have you tried circulating a contact card to the accessory guys at the shows? The only ones I've seen online are Ajax Pearlite Black for $95.00. :eek::barf: -7-

Last edited:
I have a guy close to me who will make me a set of elk antler grips. he told 75 or so depending on how shiney i wanted them. probably gonna let him do them.

kyle663,

Sounds like you may be looking for custom grips rather than shooting type grips. Actually, frame fitting grips would be fairly easy to make for this gun, and those your friend could make for you would be nice...

I'm looking for Pachmayr or Hogue type recoil reducing black rubber or composite grips that would fit my large hands much better and fill the area behind the trigger guard.

In our case, any grips for Virginian Dragoon Pistols seem difficult to find. I wish you luck with your search. What you are looking for could certainly be made by a good craftsman...

TC

TDC actually, i'm looking for hunting grips as well. the grips on mine shift when shooting abd i'd like to find some pachmyer grips too. if i could find a set.

Sorry to bring back this dead thread but for good reason. I bought a hogue monogrip for a ruger blackhawk and it will fit with trimming of the inside plastic. The grooves that the pins on the grip frame slide on have to be cut longer to the base of the grip. And plastic has to be removed on the forward bottom part to allow it to seat far enough back. I was able to do this with a sharp thin chisel. And will post pics when i figure out how to get them on here. Go a Lil bit at a time so you don't get too deep. But yes it is possible to modify the hogue monogrip

20160919_002834_zpsptmqagqm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]. Just have to trim a tiny bit more out of the base so it rides a Lil higher then drill and tap a retaining screw

Back