Virginia "Restaurant Ban" Repealed?

ScottRiqui

If I'm reading this bill-tracking link correctly, it appears that the Governor has signed SB 334 into law, and that as of July 1st of this year, CHL holders in Virginia will be able to carry concealed in restaurants that serve alcohol (but will not be allowed to consume alcohol while carrying.)

There was a bunch of news coverage and blog/forum posting when the bill passed the Virginia House and Senate, but other than this bill-tracking site, I haven't heard a peep about it since the Governor signed the bill.

http://leg6.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?101+sum+SB334

If the ban has in fact been repealed, this is great news - we've been trying to get this done for years! Prior to this, we had to either leave our guns behind or switch to open-carry before entering a restaurant.

Last edited:
You are reading it correctly. The loathesome "restaurant ban" will die as of 1 July 2010. :D

Now, not that I'm encouraging such behavior, but it appears you would be able to carry openly - and drink - or carry concealed and abstain. Hmmm. Of course, our betters exempted all law enforcement and Commonwealth's attorneys from the ETOH-free provision. Hmmm, I say again.

I'm pretty jazzed, too. On a related note, Governor McDonnell also signed a bill that will allow us to renew our concealed-carry permits through the mail, so that will hopefully save me some time in January.

Yay, I live downtown in Richmond's Fan District and can walk to 100 or 200 restaurants and shops. Now I can go out after dark for a bite to eat. :)

A view of Monument Avenue.

vcu6.jpg

John

Remember, and remind everyone you know, JULY FIRST is the first day that this will be legal.

If you or anyone else carries concealed in a restaurant, you are liable to arrest, and it's not an affirmative defense in Virginia to say that the "law will change 1 July."

Hopefully in NC sometime

Congratulations VA!! It's been discussed for NC, but a few Democrats in the legislature keep it from being brought to a vote. Your victory will give us a little new ammo in our fight. If it works out well for you, we have a good example from a neighboring state.

Back