Virginia laws concerning minors

JonathanT

Inactive
To start off, i'm 17 soon to be 18. I'm getting ready to buy (or I guess I should say my "mother" is getting ready to buy) a Kimber .45 for competition purposes. The legal age to purchase a handgun and ammunition is 21. I have heard from different shooters that there is a law which once I'm 18, allows my mother to basically "hand over" the gun to be mine. I don't no if this is true or not. I also am not sure about transportation or carrying aspects of it. That really doesn't matter anyway. All I'm concerned with are the laws governing the my use of the gun at a range or carrying it at a competition. Any good websights would be great. Thanks

JonathanT

Congratulations!

Yes, that's correct. VA and federal law say that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a federally licensed dealer. However, if a family member (or anyone over 21) buys it, and gives/sells it to you at a later date, as a private/family transaction (not having any reason to believe you're under 18 or prohibited from posessing a firearm), that's not against the law.

As far as carrying, I'd recommend unloaded and in the trunk if you're just using it for competition purposes. When you're 21, you can apply for a concealed carry permit, and I believe open carry is legal most anywhere in VA, although there are some anti-gun police departments and jurisdictions who'd try and slap you with "brandishing" or "disturbing the peace" or some other nonsense.

Some ranges also require you to be 21 to shoot there (unless you're with an "adult"), I'd talk to the owners and inquire about their policies.

Check out the above links, and I'd also recommend reading or buying "The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" by Korwin/Maniscalco. Retails for $14.95, but it's very comprehensive and fairly easy to read. Includes a lot of federal information as well as VA laws.

You can also go to http://www.nraila.org/ and click on "Firearms Laws", then click on "Virginia".

Have fun, and be safe!

[This message has been edited by trenchcoat (edited November 18, 1999).]

Back