VIRGINAIN DRAGOON vs. RUGER

VTR996

I've done a little research on the V.D. and was wondering if I could interchange loads with it and my Redhawk?? Is it strong enough to take 300xtp's, like my Redhawk, or should I back-off a little to 240xtp and 22gr.H110??

I'd like to know the answer to this myself, and I'm hoping some one has a definitive answer. I have a virginian dragoon in .44 mag, stainless, 71/2 inch barrel. If I remember correctly the gun writers tooted it as equal to the Ruger in strength. I'm shooting 22 grains of 2400 behind a 240gr laser cast bullet with no problems. 20gr gives me good accuracy and I can't perceive that much difference and I don't think a deer will either so that will be my load. Hope some one can answer this one for us, this is a nice alternative to Ruger for those that like something a little different, although it will have to be used, they don't make them anymore. They've got coil springs like the Ruger as well. They were made in .357, .41, .44, and .45 calibers. very nice guns in my opinion.

I've got a book at home on single action revolver history. It has quite a write-up on the VD. If there isn't a clear answer by tomorow, I'll post what I find out.

I handled one in .22lr, it had very nice fit and finish. I don't know how it compares in strength to a Ruger large bore. I'm thinking of getting a 5.5" SBH to go with my 7.5" for casual field carry.

I owned one in 45 Colt it was a strong built gun. And appeared built heavier than the Blackhawk 45 Colt.

As far as plain ol' mass goes, the Dragoon has the edge on the Blackhawk. Regarding metallurgy, well, I don't know for sure, but that may well be a different story.

Lockwork on the Dragoons is definitely more fragile. As an example, in the last six months, we have had one VD come in for lockwork repairs and zero BH/Vaqueros. Statistically speaking, insignificant, unless you stop to consider the relative populations of both guns out there. The ratio should have been, what, 100 to one? 1,000 to one? 10,000 to one? ;)

Couldn't find anything definite in my book. However I agree with Tamara. Look at when the gun was designed, and the pressures of cartriges at that time vs. the ruger.

My VD shoots 200's fine, runs out of rear sight adjustment on some 240's and would require some smitty work on the front sight to get 300's on the paper.

After hundreds of heavy loads and countless lighter ones the screw holding the ejector shroud failed...no biggie

Then a biggie..... a major reloading blunder. No doubt something was wrong when I pulled the trigger. Inspected and found a small crack in one chamber. Later discovered that 240's wound up on top of a max charge intended for 200's (several grains over any published max).

I'm typing with my fingers and not my toes, so I'll give it points for strength.

Tom

Back