Violent video games, crime and you

Jffal

A very long, multipage article. Quite detailed, actually, and though it presents various sides on the debate, it seems biased against the games.

So, I reckon if you play such games obsessively, you too will become a better shot?
Jeff

New Times Los Angeles Online - newtimesla.com | Feature | October 28 - November 3, 1999
Address:http://www.newtimesla.com/issues/current/feature.html

Not at all. Quake does not let you feel a weapon's heft, recoil, smell... etc, you dont have balistic archs, windage, range estimations...

This is like saying playing POLE POSITION will make you a better driver.

Of course for the ignorant masses this might sound actually logical.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I can't help but shake my head wondering if truely our nation is going to adapt and survive in the upcoming millenium? Or are we to be condemn by our own cruel ignorance?

Firstly, the LA Times. It seems to have done their homework, getting lots of figures and statistics pertaining to the topic... but has nothing to do with the issue. So, I skipped it.

Firstly, Dr. Diane Schetky (interviewed child Psychologist) is against violent video games and made the following quotes:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What happens is that some of these kids who aren't succeeding socially turn to video games....[/quote]

This is true. However, there are also people who are socially well-adjusted and play video games. Also, violent video games are not a direct indicator of malign anti-social behavior. For example, you can play Pac-Man all day and be just as anti-social. You can also be just as anti-social with numerous types of other activities such as stamp collecting or bird watching. All you have to do find something to do that doesn't require socializing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Kids are not cognitively mature. Their minds are still developing.[/quote]

First of all, Child Psychology or Psychology in general is still a work in progress. Nobody has or will ever have it completely nailed down to absolute science. However, when you read that quote above, the knee-jerk reaction is that they have, or at least she has.

Who is "kids"? Because the late Columbine shooters were teenagers, not really kids. This makes a big difference depending on how you define "cognitively mature". Those have have taken as little as a basic college-level Psychology course will know that folks like Jean Piaget indicates there are two types of cognitive processes within people younger than adults: Concrete cognition and Abstract cognition. Concrete cognition starts out very early. Kids as young as 2 years old is able to grab something and say, "Mine!". Abstract cognition, however, doesn't start until at least 7 to 13, depending on who you ask. Abstract cognition, incidentally, is the phase where they learn to distinguish different types of mediums, allowing them to separate fantasy from reality. 2 year olds may not know the difference between what they see on TV and what they see out the window. But I can assure you, most high school kids can, including the two Columbine gunmen. So what did she mean by, "Kids are not cognitively mature"? Who knows? I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out what she had meant to say.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Some fantasize about being powerful. Michael's fantasy was that he was going to take over the school and people would respect him. And that was his solution to years of harassment. He really hadn't thought the plan out very well.[/quote]

How many of us here have ever fantasized about being powerful at least once in their lives? How many of us here have ever wanted people to respect us? How many here have ever picked up a gun and a shot a school to "get respect"? 'Nuff said.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>He fired with uncanny accuracy. "There's been some suggestion that these games are increasing the effectiveness of kids who kill. Michael hit eight kids with eight shots.[/quote]

Let's see. If I was to waltz into a totally unprepared, unsuspecting high school full of unarmed school kids and educators with a firearm, I wonder how difficult it would be for me to shoot? Hmm....

Besides, exactly what does she mean by "there's been some suggestion"? Is that suppose to convince me of the evil that manifests itself in video games? Simply because she heard from somewhere that a study has been "suggested"?

Grossman has the following to say:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Video games are frighteningly effective "murder simulators" that produce youthful assassins in the same way that Uncle Sam trains military killers.[/quote]

I think Grossman might have been mistaken about the "desensitization" issue, but I could be wrong. The intent of the simulators is to simulate. It's cheaper to drive a simulated tank or fire simulated artillery rounds rather than to do the real thing. So, simulations has a role to play as part of the military training process. But, as far as I know, simulations has NOTHING to do with desensitization. And again, I'm not a West Point Psychology prof., nor do I even pretend to be one in my dreams.

But I do know that if you're going to use a medium to "desensitize", you might as well show your troops movies such as, "Saving Private Ryan" because that is far more realistic than any video games I know of.

Grossman admits he has never played Kingpin. I have played and completed the demo. I thought it was a really cool game, but it never gave me the urge to grab a gun and shoot a school. It probably wouldn't matter if Grossman played Kingpin or not. I doubt if he'll ever change his mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But Grossman argues that Carneal seemed to have learned advanced shooting tactics. "It is not natural to fire one shot at every target.[/quote]

Will those in this forum who practices double taps, or at least thinks it's not a bad idea, please raise your hand? Heck, if I had my way, all of my firearms would fire 3 round bursts. Well, maybe I'm being a little dramatic when I say that. Perhaps he refers to John Farnam's "Barroom theory"? One round for everyone before anyone get seconds? Such is true, but only when the situation calls for it. To do it ALL the time is not a sign a real, experienced shooter.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Pilots learn to fly those jumbo jets on computer simulators, and the Army tank corps uses computer simulators to make the corps world-class. My eldest son learned to drive a car on a computer....The fact is, computers are great training tools. There's no doubt that Doom and other games are in fact murder simulators.[/quote]

We seem to keep forgetting that realistic simulators are designed to simulate. Games such as Doom is designed to be entertaining. Most 3D perspective games that fall into the Quake category are commonly known as Run&Gun's but with good reasons. How many people here have tried to run full sprint for about 20-30 yards, then stop and shoot? Imagine how much more difficult it is to run AND shoot. But on a video game, you can do it and shoot PERFECTLY, hence the label Run&Gun. The most successful Quake-like players are undoubedly those who have learned to run&gun. How then, can they be murder simulators if they teach such unrealistic tactics??? Kingpin's creator also agrees by stating the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>He explains that the protagonist in Kingpin, at its top speed, runs at 42 mph, can fall several stories without a scratch, and only has to shoot in the general direction of an enemy to hit the mark. And every character in the game seems to be able to sustain several bullet wounds before so much as letting out a groan. Markham created a version of Kingpin that was strictly realistic. Aiming was unassisted -- you needed to point your weapon carefully to hit anything -- and one bullet to a lethal area would kill you. "You lasted about three seconds, and it was not fun," Markham says.[/quote]

In short, they are games, not simulators.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Jenkins doesn't want to be misunderstood; he wouldn't recommend letting a 10-year-old play Kingpin. But he'd rather that parents made that decision and not the government. "These are expensive games. If kids are playing them, adults are buying. The challenge is to educate the adult community that not all games are for kids. It's about exercising judgment in your own family. But the Grossmans would like to see us legislate morality and taste."[/quote]

Now this, I can agree with. We live in hysterial times, people. Many mediums are being demonized. Our guns are being demonized, now even video games?! VIDEO GAMES?!?! Do you realize how stupid this makes us look as a society? That of all the things we can be worried about, video games has to be one of them. This is just absurd.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited October 30, 1999).]

Having read Grossman's book and looked into the matter a bit deeper than a newspaper article, I have to tenatively agree with his conclusions.

Point of fact is that firing rates for US forces have increased in the last 50 years. Point in fact is these results are indicative that something has changed - the theory is that the use of reactive targets (video or not) increased the effectiveness.

If you link the video games and violent movies/TV to increased homocide rates - *seems* reasonable. I have not done the leg work (collected and evaluated data) to prove or refute this theory - but it fits the facts as we know them.

*My* pet theory is that the advent of TV in the early 60's was an enourmous change. No longer did folks socialize on the front porch with the neighbors. Our attention turned inward towards the house. I do not see the gatherings that were part of the socialization process anymore. School, work, TV seems to be the norm.

Giz

I have read of a number of studies claiming that children under the age of three cannot readily distinguish TV-stuff from reality.

I believe it is fact that many children are regularly in front of a TV set for several hours per day, every day. The primary fare seems to include a high percentage of violence as conflict-resolution, and "us vs. them" so-called cartoons.

As a generalization, psychologists believe that these sorts of TV programs, plus violent movies and the typical arcade games create an atmosphere, or a mindset, which tends to lead to a sense that violence is acceptable in conflict resolution. They are not saying that some teeny-bopper is going to finish an arcade game and go out and kill...

What we have seen as a behavioral change over the last couple of generations is a greater willingness on the part of a very few to use violence. It is during this time that we have had a change in entertainment mediums and in their style.

I say the style has changed, as the old "B Westerns" were morality plays. The good guys always won, over the bad guys. Not much killing, either. Even in mainstream movies, good won and evil lost. Further, "realistic" blood and gore were not a major part of the shows. Compare to today's fare...

Again, I claim that TV is either a powerful teaching tool, or it is not. If not, those advertisers have wasted an awful lot of money, to no avail. Do you believe that? If it is, they must be correct, who claim the atmosphere it creates is contributory to violence.

Overall, it doesn't matter. Hollywood is not motivated by murder rates, so much as by money. Just like politicians.

Pardon the cynicism, Art

There is no Quick Save before a real life fire fight. I defy anyone to explain how a left click on a mouse duplicates a firearm or contributes to its real life deployment. I haave played the KINGPIN demo and like the game. However, the language is really over the top and distracts from the overall quality of the experience. This isn't evil marketing, but reflects a lack of understanding of the sophistication of the consumer. That is why I have avoided this FPS game and opted for the likes of SYSTEM SHOCK 2, or THIEF and HALF-LIFE. Survival is the motivating factor in most FPS games. This is a good thing. A good player can master a level in THEIF without a single fatality. Killing becomes an unprofessional mark on your reputation. Yet survival is still imperative and may require extreme responses. I shoot alot and do not believe FPS games influence my performance in the least. They are definitely no excuse for a lack of morality in a specific individual.

I don't buy the "PC games = better shooter" statement either. However, there are some games in the arcades that do have some training value.

The issue here is "mindset" as opposed to real trigger skills. I have used the FATS simulators and there is a very definate increase in shooting skills. Not round for round, but it's there. (DoD spent a bunch of time and money trying to get an equation, (live fire vrs. simulators) but couldn't)

The phrase "firing rates" is the key. Studies in WWII indicated 25% of the soldiers in an infantry squad actually fired, recent history (Vietnam forward) indicates better than 90% will shoot.

What Grossman theorizes is that the TV/Video game exposure is increaseing the "rate of fire" amoung our young people. Interestingly, he does not hold hi-cap firearm availability as a factor. (in the book at least)

As Art pointed out, something has changed in the last 30 years. Once you started eliminating variables......... What do you have left?

Giz

This is strange to admit...

Though I've always kind of liked guns, I only become a rabid pro-Second Ammendment man after playing the computer game Half-Life. Something about that Colt Python .357...

Obviously, it didn't teach me to aim or anything like that, but it did help suck my into the wonderful "gun culture"!

BTR, Ahh Half-life, what better electronic epiphany to RKBA could one ask for? (get my handle yet?) Gizmo - The "rate of fire" stat seems a natural progression of real life technology and modern battle grounds. WW2 often involved relatively huge battle arenas including many participants. (see Saving Pvt. Ryan). It is understandable that many of the 75% were incapable of aquiring a target and firing. Vietnam often involved a lot of smaller engagements with some newer weapons and I would venture a guess that more ammo per capita was spent there than any other major engagement in modern history. Rate of fire is not the key in games anyway. Accuracy is (just like in battle). Ammo is life in the PC. I would be impressed if both rate of fire and accuracy had increased since WW2.

Back