Vietnam era US small arms ammo query

ghbucky

I was chatting with my Vietnam war veteran brother today and he mentioned that 'some ammo was sealed'.

He elaborated that they were told to check their ammo and look for the seal ring around the primer to know if their ammo was waterproof.

I was under the impression that ALL small arms GI issue ammo was sealed? I thought Lake City produced all of the US military small arms going back to WW2, and they were all crimped and sealed.

Am I mistaken?

Lake City (LC) was only one of many arsenals and civilian contractors who have produced small arms ammo. Not sure how long the "standard" requirements have been in place but for about the last century +, military specs have required that primers and bullets be sealed and crimped.

The primer sealant is usually a lacquer type compound, usually visible as a ring round the edge of the primer. Bullets are sealed in what is called an "asphaultum gum", which is normally not visible. Sealant is for weatherproofing (moisture) and the crimp is for "vibration proofing" during transport and during the functioning of the weapon.

During Viet Nam both sides are reported to have taken captured ammo, tamper with it (like remove the powder and put in an explosive) then leave it on a battlefield to be "recovered" and hopefully used by the enemy where it would blow up their guns.

Troops were told to inspect their ammo carefully (including the packaging) for any signs of tampering.

Also something Sgts ordered, to keep the troops busy...:rolleyes::D

Back