VIDEO: Springfield 1903 - World War II Style!

Amsdorf

Hey guys, thought I'd share this closer look at a Remington 1903A3 Word War II bolt action.

As far as I can tell the receiver was made in late 1942 and the barrel if from July 1944, most of the stock appears to be original, with the top forend wood being replacement at armory? Or by a later owner?

Wish this rifle could talk, I'm sure it would have some interesting stories to tell. My hunch is that the barrel was swapped out at the armory when it was turned in, during WWII for rebuild. The corrosive .30-06 used at the time was a barrell killer, particularly in the Pacific theater where routine maintenance was not the best and the high humidity made the corrosive salts in the primer even more of a problem.

Firing this thing is an experience. The felt recoil is powerful and I have to say I do not "enjoy" shooting it more than about twenty times or so and for whatever reason this thing is so darn loud. I'm saying this in comparison to shooting my M1 Garands.

Any of you have a 1903A3?

Here's a link to the video.

My bf has one. Personally, I love it- I wish it were mine! It's accurate as all get out and the gun is a honey. It really demonstrates to you just how powerful the 30-06 is.

I have an A4 which was originally planned to be an A3 until I was shooting holes touching groups so I decided to go back to A4 and give it back it's true potential.

I have two 03A3s, which my father bought in the 1950s.

One he had converted into a nice sporter, and the other one is stock military, except that he shortened the stock into a hunting style configuration. Replacement stocks are damned expensive...

I have a 03A3 that I traded for a couple of years ago that had never been fired, I contacted Remington and gave them the SN and date of the barrel and they said it was as deliverer to the US government in 1944.
I only shoot cast and it will keep all in the 10 ring with my cast load. I push 2200fps and never had any leading in the bore. it is a two groove barrel, great Rifle.

I have an 03A3. I purposefully bought an 03A3 receiver and barrel with trigger parts that had been drilled and tapped for an unknown two-piece scope mount. No collector value

03A44.jpg

I made myself an 03A4gery out of it. Fun rifle. Mike, you'll hate this, but that stock was free and was unissued USGI (Thanks Pop)

The C-Stock takes away the punishing recoil

03A4gery.jpg

My Father has a nice S-C 03A3, one of the ~4000 made with savage 6 groove barrels stamped 'S-C'. Has a Lyman 48 target sight. Accurate rifle. Here it is next my 1944 Springfield M1 rifle

M1903M1.jpg

Anyone have a line on suppliers of either WW II era replacement stocks, or modern recreations, that don't cost an arm, a leg, and most of the money in the bank?

I thought I had located a nice set of replacement wood, but the guy wanted $400 for it!

Mike, thanks for asking this question, I'll be very interested in any answers you receive.

Unfortunately, finding an authentic, period set of wood for these historic rifles means, in my experience, paying $$$, unless you happen upon a kind soul who is willing to part with it.

It's probably a supply/demand thing, but...you are right... I've seen guys spend more on their wood than the original rifle itself!

I have a couple, a Remington (Sept '43) and a Smith-Corona (Feb '43).

Shown with the other '03's that share space in my safe.

Top to bottom:
1906 Springfield
1942 Remington
1943 Smith-Corona (I know, the rear sight is missing)
1943 Remington

IMG1581-XL.jpg

If you are looking for original stocks, try ebay. I just acquired a really nice original and correct S-C stock for $127.50 off of evilbay.

Back