Video on making 1855 British Enfield cartridges.

Nope, I have not yet made it to the range with them. I was hoping to this weekend but the weather is not looking good. Next weekend is an N-SSA competition so that is out, too. Possibly the weekend of November 14th if the weather is good; the rest of November is shot.

When I go I will be shooting 1855 and 1860 Enfield Cartridges, with service load of 68 grains as well as load workups from 45-65 grains in 5 grain increments.

The 1855 cartridges will use .566 bullets, and the 1860 cartridges will use .550 bullets.

Steve

Replicas of CSA manufactured copy of British Enfield cartridge, 1855 pattern. Based on extant example #540, "Round Ball to Rimfire Volume 4", Dean .S Thomas. .550" diameter Pritchett bullet with no base plug. Cartridges need to be lubricated and charged.

2P9vdvO.jpg

Original:
zBfVut7.png

Lubed. On the right is pre-heated. Pre-heating allows the wax to stay liquid too long and soak into the brown paper. In the future I will not pre-heat.
LmEOA15.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very good! Anyone have any info on how to make .54 caliber pistol cartridges of the Mexican-American war/Civil War era?

:)

These are lubed with SPG. In 1855 the British lubricated them with a recipe that was 6 parts beeswax to 1 part tallow. Later they went to either all beeswax or beeswax with a small amount of mineral spirits.

I find SPG to be very similar in feel to the US Ordnance recipe of 1 part tallow to 8 parts beeswax, and since I already had some SPG in a tin for melting, I went with it.

Steve

Back