Video on making 1855 and 1861 cartridges

Very informative, Where did you find the dimensions to make your templates ? what are you using for the rocket paper ?

I am tempted to try this for my 1863 replica

You can get the dimensions from the ordnance manual. The YouTube video description text provides links to them and the page numbers that the dimensions can be found on.

I bought the paper at Lowes Home Improvement. I found a light weight paper suitable for the cartridge outer wrappers, and a thicker paper for the "rocket paper". Someone recently measured the rocket paper on an original cartridge and said it was .010" thick.

The ordnance manual provides details on how paper was to be tested to rate it so you could follow their instructions to see if the paper you find is "up to snuff".

Steve

I'll have to go and see and take a picture of the wrapper. But basically you want the stuff that comes on a roll and is brown and just a bit thinner than computer paper.

I think I have the correct sections,
here is for the 1850 cartridge,

And for the 1861

If you can come up with the correct paper from lowes, it would be a great help to everyone

I didn't go to Lowes this weekend, but I went to Home Depot, and they have the same/similar stuff.

They have small rolls of lightweight masking paper which is fine for the outer wrappers, and they have a large roll of heavier weight masking paper which is fine for the powder cylinder if you make 1855 style cartridges.

I think the small roll was like $4 and the large roll like $10. It would be enough to make a thousand or more cartridges.

Steve

Back