vettereli rifle

the dude

what do u know about a swiss vettereli rifle model 1867?
what i know is this: it fired 41 rimfire ammunition they were made in Bern switzerland. thats all the information i have about this gun. i wanted to know if this was correct and what information could u add to this? also what would the value of one of these in fair to good condition?
thanks.

Dude:
I hope this will help you in your quest.

SWISS .41 Cartridge:
Other Names: 10.4X38R
Vetterli M1867
41 Swiss
41 Vetterli
Swiss Vetterli
Type: Rimmed Neck, Rim-fire
Length: 2.22"
Powder: Nitrocellulose
Chg:
Primer: Rim Cavity

BULLET:

Type: Lead (round nose)
Dia: .426"
Wt: 310gr

CARTRIDGE CASE:

Length: 1.55"
Head to Shoulder: 1.00"
Length of Shoulder: .39"
Length of Neck: .16"
Dia Rim: .625"
Base: .537"
Neck: .435"
Shoulder: .520"
Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
M-Energy: 1330

Historical Notes: Swiss military cartridge adopted in 1869 for use in the Vetterli turnbolt rifle. The official military round is rim-fire, but a center-fire version was also loaded in Europe. The cartridge and rifle were discontinued in 1889.

The 10.4mm, or 41 Swiss, cartridge is quite well known in the U.S. and most american companies loaded it until about 1942. Thousands of the Swiss Vetterli rifles have been sold in this country and a surprising number have been used for hunting big game, usually deer. The 41 Swiss would be a barely adequate, short-range, cartridge for deer-class animals. The rim-fire military version can't be reloaded.

This model was also adopted by the Italians, with the same ballistics. It was modified with a tube magazine at first, then to a box magazine. The Italian version was known as the Vitali system.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 30, 2000).]

Back