Very worn out Stevens Crack Shot

Buzzard Bait

I have a very worn out Stevens crack shot 22 rifle. Does any body have recommendations about who or where to send the barrel for relining?
bb

Its Junk

It is about the most totally worn out thing I have ever seen, relining the barrel would be the first step. The sum of all the parts and repairs it would need will likely exceed the value of the finished project. But some I can do myself and truthfully, every time I start thinking about fixing it I price the parts and the repairs and think maybe not and put it back up. But sometimes I think of not leaving something worn-out and broken behind after I'm gone too It's really just junk.
bb

Don't reline the barrel, put a new barrel on it. It will cost less and shoot better, and there are people out there who can roll mark the barrel for you. The action screws are a standard part to replace, and you may need to bush the pivot points if it's real bad. But you are looking at exceeding the value of the rifle pretty easily. They sell for $300-$600 depending on condition, and just relining the barrel or rebarreling will cost $300 easy. Or you can just build a showpiece out of it, put a ridiculous amount of money into it, like I do to my rebuilds.:rolleyes:

If you go the relining route, there is your answer. ^^^^

Honestly, though, I don't see any point in spending money on the old gun. The few that go for the prices mentioned are ones in near new condition, not ones rebarreled and rebuilt. IIRC, those guns were reproduced a few years ago and those turn up fairly often in like new condition. Or just buy a good .22 bolt action and hang the old Stevens on the wall in honorable retirement.

Jim

I fabricated a locking roller the lever cams on to for a model 26 from bronze bar stock, tightened the breeching of the old girl right up.

The last time I saw the gentleman I did the work for he told me his Grandkids are still shooting that old rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

These little rifles are a hoot to shoot. However, there are new versions of them out there. If I remember correctly, Benelli's Tom Knapp, was using one to shoot aspirins out of the air.

One of the most enjoyable projects I do to get through the doldrums of winter, is to restore one of the Stevens .22 rifles that were allowed to degenerate over time. This one came out of a cow barn that I bought for a case of "Bud Light".

Rifling was completely rotted away and the barrel was relined to preserve as much "originality" as possible.

I have several other versions waiting in the wings to get to, with a Model 44 "IDEAL" that's next.

And if someone else, like me, wanted you to do that restoration, what would it cost? A fun project is one thing but there is a wild, unconfirmed rumor that gunsmiths like to eat, and I suspect you would charge a customer more than the gun would be worth. (I would!)

Jim

Cost? Whatever your skills will allow and a bunch of enjoyable time. I only do these for the grandkids & nephews. The liners I use are the Redman version. Rust & pitting removal is done by draw filing and block sanding to maintain lettering and sharp edges, all by hand. Rust bluing is done by hand. So, while you don't really need a whole lot of equipment, you do need to invest some time. If I'm not doing a single shot .22 Stevens, I stay busy making Ruger Mark pistol grips over winter.

All pretty much hand made and hand checkered.

I did conservation work on a similar Stevens for Francisco's Fort Museum (a trading post and not a military base) in La Veta, CO. Unfortunately, they had neither the funds nor inclination for restoration work. There was a Sharps percussion that needed restoring (new stock hammer, hammer screw and barrel relined) but they had no funds. Oh well.

Hi SGWgunsmith - I see you use the W. E. Brownell's checkering tool holder. I have the same one and bought it direct from him.

Unfortunately, the daughter of W.E. Brownell and her husband sold the checkering tool business to a real nitwit. I've bought some single line cutters from the now owners, and those cutters are not worth the powder to blow 'em to hell with. W. E.'s son-in-law was a great guy to deal with and fortunately, I bought quite a few of the original American Walnut handles from him along with enough cutters in 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 and 26 LPI, with 2, 3 and 4 line spacing cutters to last me the rest of my days. I also prefer the 75º single line cutters for cutting the spaced lines to depth, on good, hard, wood like English Walnut. The 60º single line cutters are used to cut master lines, mainly because the spacing cutters are all 60º. The 90º single line cutters are used to bring the diamonds to point when dealing with the softer American Walnut used for grips and working stocks. My only hope is that some day, somebody with at least some inkling of knowledge concerning hand-cut checkering will buy out the current owners and get things right once again. I can't understand a dam thing these current owners are saying when I call, so I gave up on that.

I don't do much rifle or shotgun stock checkering like I used to do, mainly because there's just not that much demand these days, or those willing to contract this sort of work, and pay for the end result.

Last edited:
Back