Very Strange Model 10 Malfunction, Please Advise!!

JRiggs

Hi,

I have a 4 Inch Model 10 that I bought new a while back, its one of the newer +P rated guns. Anyway, I finally got around to test firing it, and had something very wierd happen to me. I fired one 50 round box of Winchester 125 gr JHP +p, no problems at all. Got into my second box, Winchester 130 gr FMJ, and half way through the box, the trigger pull became light, and it seemed as though the trigger and the cylinder were operating independent of each other. The cylinder quit turning, but you could pull the trigger. I opened and closed the cylinder, and it started to work again, but the pull was so light it wouldnt fire the rounds off. When I had the cylinder open, you could even pull the trigger back-very odd. I closed the cylinder again, and the revolver started working just fine. It continued to work well for the rest of that box, after which I quit. The revolver was quite warm, could this have caused it? Or could it just be a break-in thing? The revolver seems fine now. Any opinions?

I'd have it looked at. It isn't worth having it not work when you need it or having it KB.

I can't diagnose the exact problems at a distance, but it sounds like there might have been a metal burr or some factory crud in the gun which finally worked its way out or into a place it will do no harm. I would first suggest that you remove the grips, then hose the gun down inside with something like G96 Gun Treatment. Cock the hammer and let fly with the cleaner, then turn the gun upside down and do some more of the same. Then stick the tube into the space ahead of the trigger and hose out that area. Let the gun drain, then put 5-6 drops of a good gun oil ahead of the hammer and 2-3 ahead of the trigger.

Work the gun (dry fire) a couple of hundred "rounds". If there are no further problems, replace the grips and have another range session.

Some folks might advise disassembling the gun, but I feel that if you were an experienced pistol smith, you would not be asking the questions, so I do not recommend that course of action.

Jim

From the sound of it it's either under warranty or the lifetime guarantee. Ship it in to S&W with a description of the problem and let them tend to it. If there is a S&W warranty station around, use that.

In other words, get it taken care of properly the first time.

Back