Very sticky slide release

TrueBlue711

My friend just got the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. Like many new guns, they need some breaking in time. However, the slide release on this pistol is ridiculous. It takes full strength to use it as an actual slide release (that's even with some gun lube on it). What are some suggestions to smoothing it out or making it easier to release?

Unfortunately, that is not obvious to a lot of gun owners. Ive had countless students that complained about how hard it was to move the slide stop lever, only to find them trying to do so with an empty mag seated

If I recall right S&W didn't design it for releasing the slide. My shield is insanely stiff, using the lever to release the slide on a full mag and even no mag is next to impossible.

If I recall right S&W didn't design it for releasing the slide. My shield is insanely stiff, using the lever to release the slide on a full mag and even no mag is next to impossible.
I have a full size M&P myself and I recall it also having a crappy slide release. Not as bad as the Shield's, but definitely bad enough where you're better off pulling the slide back to release it.

This is common to many semi-autos, not just to S&W...so, as above, take out the mag.
The other 5 pistols I own and the dozens of pistols I've shot don't have this problem with their slide releases. And we've established that this is a problem with the M&P without a mag in it.

Last edited:
They're all like that. I've been told not to use the slide release but rather pull back on the slide. It seem that the slide release is also weak and it doesn't take much to wear it out. It's a small flaw that I can live with...

Tony

Back