Very Old and Odd .22 Help Identifying

Rick Borecky

Inactive
Never seen one of these nor can I find any markings. Pitted all over. Anyone eer see one of these? You cock the hammer back then pump it to load a single round. Thanks,Rick B

fEAbjM.jpg

zIGNxQ.jpg

s9nzbS.jpg

8gZSVj.jpg

SNYPiv.jpg

I looks like someone's home project or a prototype maybe. Stevens made a rolling block type that bears some resemblance. Curious to see what others might think.

It looks a lot like a Stevens but the receiver screw pattern doesn't match anything I'm familiar with.

New to me, very odd, perhaps a concept gun or proof of patent sample? I've never seen anything quite like it.:confused:

I'm thinking a "shade tree gunsmith" Rube Goldberg as well . .

But whatever the origin, it's certainly "different" and worthy of having a place in the display rack! :)

still a single shot, the fore end pump just opens & closes the breech block ???

might have been someone looking for a stronger arrangement... my crack shots have been repaired, as at least one was shot with more modern ammo & damaged the weak lock work

could it be an early 22 mag, or the centerfire version ???

Without checking, I don't know if that began as a Stevens or an H&A, but it looks like the internals (breech block and hammer) had to be new-made and the pins moved to allow the mechanism to work. Maybe Rick can check to see if the hammer actually locks the breech (as in most rifles of the "rolling" block type) or if the breech is held closed only by the mass of the iron foreend and the shooter's hand and arm.

As a way to open the breech rather than simply pulling back the breechblock, it seems to be an over-complication, a solution in search of a problem, but that is certainly nothing new (or old).

Jim

It's not a Stevens. It's a Hopkins & Allen. Every identification point on it matches up to the classic Hopkins & Allen 722, and none of them match up to any Stevens rifle I've ever seen or handled.

It looks like the standard H&A breechblock and hammer.

The "action bar" on the right side goes into the thumb spur hole.

HAs were locked by the mass of the hammer. I don't see that changing in this.

All I see is someone's bodge to make themselves a complicated "semi-semi pump rifle."

curious if you have enough leverage to open the action with the pump, without pulling the hammer back 1st??? if that's the case, maybe it was an attempt to speed up the reloading of the rifle???

In order for the pump to work the hammer, it would, as Jim said, have to be completely reconfigured.

Those rolling blocks were often held in place during the high-pressure part of the firing cycle by a shoulder or ledge on the hammer intercepting the movement of the block.

You can see the big ledge on the hammer (10) in this exploded view of the 1869 Remington Rolling Block. It neatly nestled under the bottom of the breech block (11), and you can see from the relative dimensions that the action was pretty positively locked by the time the hammer contacted the firing pin.

This was for a much larger, more powerful cartridge, but the principle is the same.

That's why your "pump" won't open the action on your H&A. After you fire, pulling back on the pump essentially makes the action act as if you've just fired another round and there's pressure pushing back on the breech block.

In order to make it function, you'd have to create something that pushed the hammer back to at least half cock BEFORE it opened the breech block.

remroll.gif

Back