very first MDT build

stagpanther

Enough parts finally came together for me to have my first go with a MDT LSS chassis system. This is their low price entry point and uses a conventional AR buttstock assembly. I finally found a use for the Luthar buttstock which I found to be worthless on a semiautomatic AR because the cheek riser prevented proper operation of the charge handle.

Since I had many of the parts and components already lying around, the major expenses of this were the chassis itself, the magazine and the barrel--which is a EA Brown heavy varminter in 6mm BR Norma. This is mostly a trial run to see how it feels/works before sinking serious money into something more exotic.

After torquing the action to the chassis I can say one thing--I've never felt a more solid join on a bolt gun. Weight is surprisingly svelte at 11.5 lbs. ready to rock minus the bipod.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 210
Good review, glad you like it. I've been toying with the idea of an oryx chassis to replace my B&C since I dont have a lot of the spare parts lieing around.

Will max mag length rounds feed in your rifle?
Looks to be about 2.528 from rear follower block to front catch. It runs smooth as silk and pops in and out easy as can be, I have no regrets spending the money--it looks like it would be military grade no problem. Shot the rifle for the first time today--report to follow shortly. :):)

Last edited:
Well today I took her out for the first time, a gorgeous spring day on the coast of Maine--the only problem is the winds were a constant 20+ mph and very gusty. Since the winds were so strong I didn't bring the Labradar along. Since I was breaking the barrel in anyway, I chose a combination of 95 gr tipped game kings and 2015--I have tons of both and wasn't looking to develop a serious load--just "break-in fodder." I typically clean after each shot for the first 5 to 10 shots depending on what signs are coming out on the patches, then every 3 shots for a few more groups, again depending on signs of the bore in the patches.

After getting all set-up I was ready to take the very first shot, and pulled the trigger...click. Nothing happened. Cycled the round out and chambered another...click, again, nothing happened. That ain't good. I check the cartridges heads and I notice there's not even a pin strike. While most people would figure it out pretty quickly, I'm not exactly the fast logical type--so I decide to pack things up and go home to take her back apart to see what the deal was. My first thought is that I must have goofed the head spacing with the gauges somehow.

After getting the barrel apart from the receiver I looked inside and it was plain as day--probably should have figured out before taking things apart--the last part of the assembly was putting the scope base on, I'm using an el-cheapo weaver base since several of my parts orders are still drifting aimlessly through the UPS galaxy. The weaver has two different screw lengths--and I somehow got the front ones switched--so it was coming through and catching the bolt lug. Reassembled everything and went back out to the dump where I shoot and set up again.

My scope zero technique is one of the few things I do that has actually improved over time (saving ammo), I just bore sight at 100 yds and generally can get on paper with the first shot, though not always.

Winds were still strong, so I had to time my shots to when the target wasn't moving around as much. Even so, and even with the breaks for cleaning the bore, became apparent to me very quickly this is one bad-a little cartridge!:) All but the very first group (which I was tuning for zero) generally was around .5 MOA. Not having the labradar, I really can't tell which is the better load to refine--so I'll have to wait for another calmer day to do-over.

I hate to use sensationalistic hyperbole, even though I do it every now and then, but my impression is this is a fabulous set-up! The action is mated so tightly and seamlessly to the chassis it feels like it's one solid piece--which is saying a lot for a goofy savage axis action.;) Shooting it is--dare I say it--actually very fun and pleasurable, can't wait to shoot it again. Felt recoil to me seems quite a bit less than a 5.56--though some of that may be due to the 11.5 lb overall weight. It's really cool to shoot effortless and follow through and see the bullet impact with minimal sight movement. Even though this was a random break-in test--you can see readily the cartridge delivers the goods in terms of accuracy and consistency. MDT says their chassis will improve most shooter's accuracy by 21% (I have no idea how they arrived at that figure) but in my case I'm certain it's more like 50 to 100%. Gonna be buying more MDT chassis for future builds for sure--in fact I think I'm abandoning my upgrades to wood stocks from here on in.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6mm-BR-95TGK.jpg
    6mm-BR-95TGK.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I've been toying with the idea of an oryx chassis to replace my B&C since I dont have a lot of the spare parts lieing around.
If it's anywhere's near as good as the MDT--I'm sure it's worth the upgrade. Interesting that it's the same price as the LSS. About the only negative I have to say about the particular LSS stock I bought is the shortish forend, making the lever force of the front rest/bipod point "tipsy."

Nice looking build. You need the LSS XL. Better choice for those long bolts. I made the same mistake when I bought my first MDT chassis which was the LSS. I sold it but still have a LSS XL, TAC21 and ESS. The ESS and the LSS XL are my favorites.

If you're not aware, MDT has a sale on Thanksgiving Day. It usually starts around 3 pm on Thanksgiving Day. Thats when I buy. I've gotten some great deals in those sales. Paid $99 for my blemished LSS XL two years ago. It has some wear but was too good of a deal to pass up. Got my blemished ESS chassis with Skelton butt stock last year. Looks perfect to my eyes.

Thanks--and thanks for the sale tip--I'll be getting more of these.
You need the LSS XL. Better choice for those long bolts. I made the same mistake when I bought my first MDT chassis which was the LSS.
I thought about that--but this is an axis short action and the XL is not available for that as far as I can tell. The savage short action is for model 10, 11,12, 16 etc.

I'm thinking of trying the XL out for a 300 Weatherby magnum--I've tried two different stocks pillared and bedded but when I entirely free-float the barrel the recoil eventually loosens the action screws--no matter how tightly they are torqued or even loktited. The MDT is the most rock-solid receiver mating I've seen so far and I'm wondering if it might succeed in holding the Weatherby down where the other ones have failed (which I strongly suspect is a major reason why they don't come from Weatherby free-floated to begin with).

Nowadays a large percentage of everything I buy that is shipped--regardless by who--arrives "blemished." You get charged large packing and shipping fee; but often I get stuff that is tossed loose into a re-used box with some crumpled brown paper as "packing material." Viva captalism. :D

Last edited:
I'm surprised the XL is not available for the Savage Axis. I figured they had to be close to the Savage 10 models. Mine are all for Savages 10 in 6.5 CM and .308.

If you buy at Thanksgiving, try and log in early. Early bird gets the worm on those sales. And know what you want ahead of time. I've gotting in on a sale as early as 1 hours before it started.

stagpanther said:
About the only negative I have to say about the particular LSS stock I bought is the shortish forend, making the lever force of the front rest/bipod point "tipsy."

Can you add a handguard to extend out the forend?

Can you add a handguard to extend out the forend?
I've started exploring the "frankenbuild" options to get a attachment poin further out. I'm not prepared to spend a thousand dollars on the Kris Kyle special though.;)

Looks great! I purchased the Oryx chassis as I didn't want to spend on a full MDT set up. Main reason for purchasing was I placed it on a Savage 12FV 6.5 Creed and was getting annoyed from top loading. Use it for target shooting only. Set up is quite heavy. I have another savage 12FV .223 but looking into getting the MDT XRS.

Tried buying an MDT blemished chassis last sale... took too long to decide and by the time I was going to buy one, they were out. Lesson learned for next time.

Back