Versa max or Watch Six for officers model?

tom75

Inactive
Hi everyone.I was considering a milt sparks IWB holster. I cant decide between the versa max or the watch six dual talon. has anyone purchased either one of these holsters, if so which is better for comfort and concealment? Are these holsters made to be carried right on the hip or a little to the rear of the hip? I have a colt lightweight officers model and I am 6'1" 250 pounds and were jeans and a loose fitting t-shirt mostly . Thanks, Tom

usa-flag.gif

I'm disappointed you didn't get a response. I'm facing the same decision for for my BHP. They seem mighty similar in design. Main difference appears to be the metal-reinforced mouth on the Versa Max, and the ability to awitch between loops and clips. Don't know if that's worth the price difference. Let us know what you wind up with.

Hi Dave. Heres a reply to the same question I posted on the rec.guns news group I just received courtesy of rick. Theres
also the same question posted in the gear and accesories forum that received a couple of replies.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66535

"I bought the Sparks Versa Max for my Colt .38 super Commander and have been
very happy with it. The IWB fits tight against my body and doesn't "add" to the
profile at my waist, critical for concealment.

As you are aware, the Versa Max also is changeable from the leather loops to
the Kydex clips so that you can tuck your shirt over the holster (okay inside
the clips) so that the holster is useable without a jacket. However parts of
the clips can still be seen, and if I saw them on someone else, I'd know that
they were carrying.

It takes a few minutes to convert the holster using the small Allen wrench to
loosen the screws in the loops and then replace them with the Kydex clips--also
kept in place with a single Allen head bolt. This isn't something that you'd
want to do everyday.

The quality and workmanship of the holster is very good and I think it's priced
fairly for what you get. Milt Sparks quoted a one month turnaround, but shaved
a week or so off that probably because the IWB for the Commander is a standard
1911 model IWB and they obviously produce a lot of them.

I have had no experience with the watch six dual talon, so I can't help you
there. I did take a look at a number of holsters before opting for the Versa
Max. Hope this helps.

Regards,
rick"

usa-flag.gif

[Edited by tom75 on 05-14-2001 at 10:55 AM]

I have a Braveheart Kydex holster for an officers model.It's in excellent condition if you are interested.

I own the Versa-Max 2 and highly recommend it. I think the additional flexibility offered by the VersaMax makes it superior to the Watch Six; but in general you will find it very difficult to go wrong with any Milt Sparks holster.

Tuckable-wear of the VM-2 is not without problems; but it is the best tuckable holster I have had a chance to try (and to my knowledge the only one I haven't tried yet is Mitch Rosen's Workman). The clips really aren't much of an issue as a 1.5" belt will hide them pretty effectively and you can get by with a 1.25" belt if it is the same color as the clips (black).

The VM-2 can be worn either directly on the hip or slightly behind it. I find wearing it slightly behind to be more comfortable but I sometimes wear it more forward to help conceal better with some clothes.

One thing about the VM-2 is that it does tuck the stock of the gun into your side for concealment and to minimize printing. If you have serious "love handle" issues you might find the VM-2 a little less than comfortable. On the other hand, you don't need to be Adonis either. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs with a bit of a spare tire and I still find the VM-2 comfortable enough to wear for 14-18 hours at a time with my Browning Hi-Power.

Try doing a search on VM-2 or Versa-Max 2 and see what you find on TFL. I know the subject has been discussed in detail here.

I just went through the same choice with my Baer Stinger. I talked with Alan Yost about it. He recommended that I go with the VM2. It is a great holster. I have not actually seen the Watch6, but it sure has a catchy name. ;) Watch-Six

Back