Vepr damaging rounds

dZ

308.JPG

on the extraction the bottom of the bolt is scratching the top round in the magazine.
when it reaches the neck it gives it a pretty good dent

should i relieve the back edge of the bolt?
bolt.jpg

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

I am not familiar with the gun, but I don't see any reason you could not stone the bolt a little to cut the sharp edges. You might also check the magazine if the damage to the case neck is coming from the bolt moving backward. Usually, mags don't allow the front of the round to come up far enough to let the bolt hit at that point in the cycle.

Jim

is that a locking lug that is hitting your cases?if its on the bottom and turns right when in lock up, it seems it might be a lug,
I don't know for sure. if ya stoned just the bottom and not the edge, then nothing to worry about, edge cutting could change head
space, if I'm way wrong sorry.

well i started slow and spent an hour

i finally ended up with a 45 degree angle at the back edge

that 90 degree break was slaming the sholder
a spin with the tripoli and it is smoother than original finish

all my mags were having the same effect
now the slope pushes the round down as the bolt slides over i get a slight scratch but no where near the gouge i got before

now i have to see if the full power pulse dents the case

heres some pix of the rifle: http://thematrix.acmecity.com/one/40/vepr/vepr.html

thanks
dz

Well i just got a call from Robinson the importer of the Vepr

I sent them my rifle for them to look at the ammo damage

They said that the exhibited damage is normal for the rifle

They did not think the smoothing i did should effect the lug lockup in a dangerous way.
I bought a second bolt assembly from them anyway.

dZ

Ammo rounds will get scratched and dented upon firing. The top round has to apply enough force to seat your chambering round into the barrel. Your problem may be that your ammo maker is using thinner brass to save money. A thicker brass case will not cause that; however, this could also mean that your magazine springs are too strong.

Are your rounds going into the chamber without jamming by only going in halfway.

If not; then you could try weakening your magazine springs by leaving your ammo in them for a couple of weeks or months. If you have 20, 30, or 50 round clips; then try weakening the spring by keeping the clips half full of ammo.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dZ:
308.JPG

on the extraction the bottom of the bolt is scratching the top round in the magazine.
when it reaches the neck it gives it a pretty good dent

should i relieve the back edge of the bolt?
bolt.jpg

dZ

[/quote]

the Ammo i have is mil spec IMI

the 2d round (and all other rounds) are hit and dented by the extraction cycle of the rear moving bolt.

This means a sholder dented round is chambered.

THe extracted brass is further dented in classic AK style

I don't intend to reload the brass

I just want to avoid any KB from chambering a dented round.

ROBARM (the importer) says the gun is safe and that my dented brass is typical for the gun.

dZ

Back