venture 270 wsm?

kilotanker22

Hey all I am thinking of buying a venture in 270 wsm. My only problem is that it only has a 22 inch barrel. J fear that there is no sense in buying the wsm but I am not sure how much speed I will lose with a 22 inch barrel.

Anyone chrono a venture in 270 wsm? And what speeds did you get?

Part of the appeal of the entire line of WSM's is that they are more efficient from shorter barrels because the shorter cases burn powder more efficiently. No personal experience, but I know of one shooter who cut his 300 WSM down to 22" from 24". He lost 70 fps total. Another shooter who posts on another forum owns one of the 16.5" Rugers in 300 WSM and claims he is still getting 95% of the published ballistics, that would mean about 150 fps or so. I see no reason why the 270 WSM would be much different.

Thanks jmr. I currently have a model 70 new haven production. I am selling it because the boy who sold it to me was not supposed to sell it. It was his dads gun.

His dad is a good friend of mine and he offered to buy it back from me so I kinda feel obligated to sell it to him. But I want another 270 wsm. And the venture seems nice I just did not want to buy it with a 22 inch barrel if I can get the same performance with a 270 in a 24 inch barrel.

I have a Venture .270WSM but have never shot it over the Chrono. It is an accurate little devil. Maybe, if time allows in the next couple of days I can let you know how it does on velocity.

Back