Velocity specs for WWII M1A Garand?

Recently purchased an M1A Garand in pretty nice condition. Wanted to work up some test loads for it but was told by a friend at the range that the older Garands were used to a diet of rounds not quite as potent as todays factory loads or loads listed in the reloading manuals. Don't really know if this was an accurate assumption or not but also don't want to take a chance on possibly damaging the rifle, took me a LONG time to finally get one. Not really asking for a specific load, but just interested in relative velocity to shoot for (pardon the pun)/ My main data source is Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition but I do have others. Anyone have any figures I can mess around with?

It always warms my heart to hear someone getting their first M1 Garand (M1A is a nuther critter). You've probably already figured out there's a whole new world of research for the M1- I'd start with a Hatchers Book on the M1, another reloading manual, and time on the CMP forums. I think the speed you want is between 2700 and 2800fps, but it's more about the pressure curve, impulse, peaks, etc.

When the M1 was designed, the official load was a 173 gr boattail at 2647 fps.
The excuse given for not adopting the .276 was that there was a lot of '06 ammo on hand, a 150 at 2700.
The Army went back to 150 gr bullets in time for WWII, but then at 2805 fps with more progressive burning powder.
There was a lot of AP shot, a steel cored 165 at 2775 fps.

The Garand action is strong and will stand a lot of chamber pressure, the main worry is that high port pressure will bend the hard-to-find operating rod.
The usual recommendation is to stick with 4895 powder or something similar.

I believe it is the hornady reloading manual that has a section for M1 30-06 loads. I am no garand expert, and I am repeating basically what I’ve read in Internet forums. Someone will come soon, I hope, with more info than me. The Garand was designed around M1 and M2 ball ammo specs, using imr4895 powder. This is a faster burn powder than what gives the highest and best velocities in today’s modern bolt 30-06 rifles. I have heard and read that ammo much over m2 specs will eventually damage the operating rod of the rifle. There is a good bit of info out about this. It’s also not just about keeping under a certain velocity or pressure, but using a powder with an appropriate burn rate for the gas system. So I have read. IMR 3031, either 4895, and IMR 4064 is in the optimum burn rate range. There are some other powders that are as well but I know these are off the top of my head.

I will be honest that I blindly go by what I have read on this matter, mostly out of an abundance of caution. I do know for certain that the ordnance manual from 1942 listed the max average pressure as 50k psi. This is considerably lower than the current SAAMI map of 60k psi for 30-06. So I would (and do) definitely err to the side of lower pressure rounds for the Garand.

Link to 1942 ordnance specs
https://books.google.nl/books?id=ms...AEwDXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=m2 link .50&f=false

You have to be careful with a M1 Garand. The wrong ammo will damage the rifle unless you install a adjustable gas block. The damage may not be instantaneous but damage will occur with repeated use of incorrect ammo.

Anyone else here old enough to remember leaded gasoline as "regular"???
And how a lot of us (lower income) folks ran our unleaded cars on leaded regular, because it was cheaper??

AND how when we did that the engines would run, and get us where we needed to go, but often wouldn't shut OFF properly (aka "dieseling") and would, eventually crap out?

And the other side of the coin, how an older car being run on unleaded, (because they stopped selling leaded gas) would eventually need an engine rebuild (valve work, mostly) BECAUSE it wasn't run on the fuel it was designed for.

The M1 Garand is kind of like that. It is an "engine" designed and tuned to run on a specific "fuel". That fuel is GI spec ammo.

Run that, and only that in your Garand and you will save yourself grief (and the cost of replacement parts, IF you can find them).

Just FYI yes Hornady 10th Edition does have a section on M1 Garand specific 30-06 Springfield, using the Honday 150gr cheaper FMJ-BT, and the Hornady 155, and 168gr modern match bullets.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

IMR4895 and IMR4064 were favorites when Garands were popular in highpower rifle matches for bullets 150 to 180 grains. Slower powders started bending operating rods and slamming bolts too hard against their stops due to excessive gas cylinder pressure.

I wouldn't try for a given velocity. A 50 to 75 fps spread in average velocity across several new Garand barrels with a given load is normal.

Ball powders of the same burning rates never produced consistently good accuracy.

New cases always delivered best accuracy. Fired cases from Garands had out of square case heads and they didn't quite cut the accuracy mustard when resized then reloaded.

Last edited:
Freeloader Reloader,

We never try to hit certain velocity numbers in loading for a rifle because the individual chamber and bore dimensions can cause the pressures to be unpredictable. If you get lower numbers than published, this generally means your peak pressure from a load is lower, but if you raise the charge to compensate, you will definitely be raising muzzle pressure, and with the Garand op-rod dependent on that pressure, you don't want to mess with it without some way to measure whether or not the gas cylinder is overpressurizing.

I once fired a fair amount of 1964 National Match ammunition in several club Garands with wildly different amounts of wear on them. The claimed muzzle velocity (I believe taken at 15 ft from the muzzle rather than the military's traditional 78-foot sample point) was 2669 ft/s from a 24" test barrel with tight internal dimensions and the cartridge loaded so as to ensure the powder was back over the primer vent (flash hole), which gives the greatest pressure and velocity. I got results ranging from 2494 fps to 2611 fps from the actual guns, and found an 80 fps difference in velocity depending on whether the powder was back over the primer or forward over the bullet (there was also a change in the primer, which was a bit flat when fired with the powder over the primer and with no trace of flattening when the power was forward in the case).

From those numbers, you can get some idea of what to expect from real guns vs. the test velocities published for military test barrels. Since you can't know in advance just where your gun's MV will fall inside the range, you do best to stick to published loads for the Garand.

The National Match historic load data for IMR 4895 can be averaged for use with the 175-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet. It comes out to 47.3 grains. This assumes the military lots of the powder averaged out to have the same burn rate canister grade does today. The plot below seems to show that it does. Based on Hodgdon's data for current production IMR 4895, which has a starting load of 46-grains and a maximum of 49-grains, this load should produce 2672 fps from their pressure gun's 24" barrel, at a pressure of about 54,300 psi or 45,300 CUP. You can begin with Hodgdon's 46-grain starting load, or even go as low as about 40 grains (based on 70% case fill minimum) as some of the Hornady Garand loads do. Work up in about 0.4-grain steps toward 47.3-grains, but I don't think I would go over that (no reason to) without a special gas cylinder plug that lowers pressure. During the workup, watch to see if your gun shoots any more accurately with some particular load you try on the way up. The Sierra bullet has a slightly wider meplat than the military bullet, so COL should be either Sierra's recommended 3.290" or Hodgdon's 3.300" for that MatchKing bullet. Anywhere in there will be fine.

attachment.php

The M1 Garand was designed to use M1 Ball ammo with that same 173-grain bullet weight because government stockpiles of it existed between the World Wars, so it is what the Army required of the Garand to be able to handle. M2 Ball with it's 150.5-grain flat base bullet was designed in 1938 and adopted in 1939. It was developed both because National Guard practice ranges did not have long enough drop zones for the more aerodynamic 173-grain M1 Ball bullet's 5500-yard extreme range, and also because soldiers practicing with the Springfield rifle complained about the recoil level of the heavier bullet load. In WWII combat, all available ammo saw use at one time or another, but the 163-168-grain armor-piercing bullet in M2 AP was issued a lot and was considered more accurate. The weight variation was due to different penetrator alloys being used at different times.

For 150-grain FMJ bullets mimicking M2 Ball, you want to be going about 125 fps faster. Interestingly enough, based on Hodgdon's data for the 150-grain Nosler BT, in their test barrel this winds up being 47.4-grains of current production IMR 4895, so it is close enough to the National Match imitating load that you could use the same powder setting to load both. It is below Hodgdon's starting load of 49.0 grains for this lighter bullet, but the case fill is over 80% so there is no hazard in that. Pressure with the 150-grain bullet should be about 46,400 psi or 38,700 CUP. Very mild. I use the Hornady 150-grain FMJ for this, as I'm not expected a ball load to be super match. The COL with it is 3.185", as determined by locating the crimp cannelure near the case mouth.

Attachments

• NM Powder Charge 1960 through 1966.gif
    NM Powder Charge 1960 through 1966.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 559
Back