Vektor??

shane

Saw a post on a news group about the vector. What is it, who makes it?

------------------
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

It's a New south african manufactured , Semi-automatic pistol, it utilizes some unique features, and recently helped a south african win a major pistol competition against some of the best using the usual.
He did it with a prototype weapon.

Would you have a link to a picture or an article on this??

Thanks

------------------
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Hi guys,

I have had the chance to handle (not fire) the Vektor. It looks like something from Star Trek, with a little resemblance to the old Whitney Wolverine. It has a gas delayed blowback action. A gas port ahead of the chamber allows gas to escape into a cylindrical hole in the frame below the barrel. There it impacts on a piston attached to the slide and slows the rearward motion of the slide. Sounds more complicated than it is, and I think the design will allow a lot of use before the cylinder and piston, as well as the inside of the frame and slide will need cleaning.

The recoil spring (around the barrel) is pretty heavy and the slide is smoother than I would like; retracting the slide needs a fairly strong hand. The trigger pull is heavier than the Glock and not as smooth.

One major drawback is that the magazine release is nearly unusable as it is flush with the frame and has to be pushed below the surface of the frame to eject the magazine.

Another drawback is the manual safety, although some would feel it isn't needed. It operates like that of the M1 rifle, having to be pushed forward by the trigger finger. This means that, if it is used, the trigger finger has to move forward to disengage the safety before moving backward to fire the gun. That means at least a second lost at possibly the very worst time. A good manual safety should be able to be disengaged simultaneously with trigger pull.

Now - surprise. I agreed to buy it! (Dependent on approval by our famous Maryland handgun board). Why? D--d if I know. Just the looks, I guess.

Jim

Did I goof? Since this is a rifle thread, maybe the discussion is about a rifle of the same name. I posted about a Vektor pistol, so maybe I goofed up.

Jim

No problem Jim - be sure to take a couple of pics and give us a detailed review if Maryland is gracious enough to let you have the gun.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Vektor does make a rifle: the CR21. http://www.denel.co.za/vektor/Rif1.htm I know that they couldn't import the complete rifle; however, Vektor has mentioned that the rifle can be built from existing AK47-variant rifles. That's right, under that Star Trek stock/shell is a barreled receiver from a Kalashnikov, in this case a R4 (a licenced-version of the Galil). Why couldn't they import the external stock, produce enough small internal parts domesticly, and then offer it as a gunsmith conversion for owners of AK-clones?

We are of like minds. But the media has us by the short and curlies!
If they ie the media can show a "killing" a week all of our -maybe oversteping- work will be for 'noght.
If the powers that be take em what happens next???????????????????

Folks,
FYI, the Vektor is featured in this months American Rifleman. Ergo, it's an okay subject for the rifle forum... this time ;)

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Uh..Guys, guess what. The Vektor ain't new. They may have redesigned a little, but this same gun was introduced in the U.S. several years ago. It bombed, I'm talking nuclear here. This company has been in business in South Africa for some time, but hasn't been able to break into the American market. Looks like they're taking another run at it. I've seen the article in G&A and it reminded me of the article they ran several years ago about the same gun and company. From what I've seen of it, they might as well go back home.

This was a info seek on the Vektor RIFLE.
Thanks for the info and link.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other b@stard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

Back