Vektor CP1 9mm -- As Good As It Looks?

DocHolliday

The Vektor looks cool enough to blast Klingons and other assorted alien BG's. My question: Is it as good as it looks?
Has anybody bought one and/or tried one out yet? Anywhere near the low recoil and high performance of the HKP7M8? Comments, please.

I have read about this gun in a few gun magizens such as, guns and ammo, american rifle man and handguner, they seem to say it is a good gun, but for the price (ibelive in the 400.00$ range?) i would buy something else. I would go to a local shooting range and ask them if they have one that you could shoot.

Its apparently a competent gun. I've read several reviews recently, including a very extensive one in Gun World.

There are several problems with the gun:

1) its designed to be carried often and shot infrequently. This is a european concept, called "contingency gun." The weapon has a stated (in the owners manual) of about 6-7000 rounds. Most people participating here would probably find that unacceptably low.

2) The safety is on the front of the trigger guard. If you use some two-hand grips, you may engage the safety by accident.

3) The accuracy is, at best, average. Good enough for close-range point-shooting, but not much more.

4) It uses a design a lot like the H&K blowback/gas retard system. NOthing wrong with that system, but care may be a little more demanding than most realize.

5) the rear sights are not adjustable; you must drift the front sight. I doubt that any after-market sights (such as night sights) will be available for a while.

For the money, you can buy a number of very nice used pistols and revolvers, with a much longer service life, more adaptability (with after-market accessories, sights, etc.), easier maintenance, etc.

I'd take one if it were given to me, but I don't think I'd spend my hard-earned money on one. I'd probably use up its service life in the first year or two...

The CP1 certainly looks great, but sadly does not live up to appearance.
When it first came out we had several turn up on our courses in South Africa. In the main, they were "jammamatics". Now, we see none being carried by guys in the business.

Apologies.... I pressed a wrong key here. To continue my reply, Vektor produce a big 9mm service pistol which is another story... reliable, accurate and user-friendly. Much favoured by SAPS (South Arican Police Service).
A South African compact 9mm that is well worth a look is the ADP, which I call the "Heckler & Glock", as it combines good features of the P7 and the Glock. It is available stateside as the HERITAGE STEALTH.

------------------
Check Six
Dennis

I have shot one and had some problems.

First, the safety cannot be put on by a grip that uses the tigger guard. When in the "on" position the safety is forward so if you grip the gun you'll push the safety off.

The gas mechanism was tempermental. On the front of the instruction manual they advise to clean the gun every 20 rounds for the first 200. The purpose is to remove pieces of jacket and powder fouling which accumulate at first. Apparently the gas port is drilled through from the bottom and leaves a burr just forward of the chamber. Small pieces of jacket metal are shaved off.

After the breakin period it was reliable.
It worked best with 115-124 gr. loads. Did not like most 147s.

I'm not troubled by the service life thing too much because while _we_ may shoot that much in a month or year the majority of the real world doesn't do that.

It's very ergonomic and really pleasant to shoot. The gas system seems to moderate recoil quite well and even though the gun is light recoil feels mild.

Thanks for the info. So much for sleekness of design. Ben&All: What about the Heritage Stealth? Not much in the gun rags besides their ad. I know it's cheap, originally from S. Africa and same blowback principle as the one and only HKP7. Any feedback? Also does it have a "Manual safety as promulgated by the import standards of the BATF" I believe that's the right wording. I live (well reside, anyway) in the people's republic of Kalifornia and this could be a factor very, veery soon. . .

Jerky,

Your loss man. SA makes some kick rifles and pistols. They make a Beretta 92FS clone that leaves the original in the dust. Their assualt rifles are world class. The Vektor sold here, is IMHO, a piece of crap, however.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

The sights really are horrible. Zero visibility and what can you replace them with? I would buy a Glock or a Sig for that money.

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

What Walt S. said.

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks like a toy... not something i desire in a defensive gun.

The fact that the rear sight is molded in, and not easily changed, is unacceptable to me.

Not interested.

Back