varminters.......help....which one should i get?

IAJack

Im looking at getting into some varmit rifle competition, basically it is 10 prarie dogs at 200yds VHA rules
I have narrowed my chices to possibly three, but want more input and am open to any ideas

they are as follows:
1)Remington VS Composite either .223 .308
this has the bull barrel, and is light,
i like it alot but will it perform?

2)Rem 700 VS SF .223 .308
Stainless fluted model? Is police
model better?

3)Weatherby SVM? - factory varmint rifle
from them, supposed to have alot of
features allready incuded?

I do plan on having it modified or some work done, like lapped, re-crowned, trued, bedded?

But will be just in factory class, can't afford an expensive hand built rig, and just want the best off the shelf to start?

so any thoughts or ideas?

thanks

My personal opinion is that the .223 is more appropriate as a varmint cartridge than is the .308. However, I would prefer target shooting with the .308 over the .223--particularly when wind is a factor.

Somebody else can help you with the particular rifles, although from a cost standpoint the Weatherby is probably the most expensive. It's also probably no better a shooter than either of the Remingtons.

FWIW, Art

For varmints, I'd take Art's advice and get the .223 in a Rem. with a steel, not composite barrel. For much more information, check out varminthunters.com and go to the message board.

Id go for the 223 rem.If your planing on having the work specified the Rem. is easier have trued and bedded than the others.I owned a 223 vs and had the action blueprinted and the action and barrel aluminum bedded in its aluminum block and after the work was completed it would shoot 1/2 - 1/4 moa with good loads all day but the only thing I lacked was a heavy bullet load so it would shoot in the wind. Thats the only reason I might consider using a 308

My dad just got a Browning A-Bolt Varminter in .223. I'm planning on getting one in .308. If you can handle a Remington side by side with one of these Brownings you will fall in love. The fit and finish on the Browning is superior, the short bolt throw on the Browning is much smoother, and it comes with the BOSS which is a muzzle brake/barrel weight that can be adjusted to tune the barrel's vibrations for maximum accuracy. I've got a guy that is having a sale on them for $600 out the door. Elsewhere they run about $700 plus tax, but they are definatly worth giving a look at.

The Browning really is a prettier gun than is the Remington. However, before forking out a wad of cash, I'd definitely post the same question on varminthunters.com. I'd be absolutely amazed if Browning were recommended over Remington

In my humble opinion, the BOSS, while it works, is a pain in the butt. A good heavy-profile varmint barrel doesn't need a barrel harmonics device.

(bump) I too want to hear others opinions on the best rifle for this purpose.

I have had several 308.s ,and right now I have a Browning a-bolt varmiter and It shoots so well my dad bought one I also have a 22-250 Browning varmiter, shoots like a dream.I have owned 9 22-250's 5 223's 3 308.'s 1 243.' allin varmint configurations. What can I say Im a gun nut.and now I also have three custom guns that I had built for me, and though the brownings might be loud they have been great for me and If I had to do it again I'd a stuck to the brownings.But thats only my opinion based on my own experences.GOOD LUCK.

I've used both 223 and 308 on real Pdogs. In the wind the 308 is more predictable. The 223 seems to have a 300 yard limit in the wind.
At 200 I would go with 223. There would be no hold over, especially with 40 - 50 grain bullets. The time of flight at 200 yards with these bullets is too short for wind to have much effect. A 50 grain bullet at 3300 fps vs a 150 gr bullet at 2800 fps. That 500 fps buys you a lot less air time at 200.

Patrick,

Why don't you use Hornady 110 grain V-max at 3200 fps or Speer 125 grain TNT at 3050 fps? These would seem to offer the most explosive results on G-hogs along with a flatter trajectory. I would think the 150 grainers should be reserved for larger game.

Back