Variations of the Smith 642

So there’s the regular 642, one without a lock, the Ladysmith, the enhanced action one, the performance center, and one with a mostly rubber but partially wood grip.

Anybody know the major differences between them? I’ve heard trigger pull is lighter in some of them, and some don’t have the lock, but which ones exactly? They also seem to have different grips. Does this make for a huge difference in recoil or are they all in the same ballpark? The enhanced action one seems to have a long wooden grip, but does it make it much harder to pocket carry?

The heavier frames generally have less felt recoil than the lighter frames. It is certainly true for my two centennials.

standard.jpg

I would guess the major difference is the price.

The LS might come with a cute carry case, which would raise the price even more.

LS 65s can fetch around $1,500 if they have all the goodies.

I have an Enhanced Action 642 that is also marked as Performance Center so I believe those are one and the same....buddy recently ordered one for himself and it was the same way. It definitely has a much smoother and lighter feeling trigger pull than any other J-frame I've owned. I don't pocket carry but I could see the slightly longer all rosewood grip possibly being an impedance, although it is rounded off and pretty slick compared to rubber so unless one has really small pockets it shouldn't be.

Any J-Frame will take a lightened trigger kit that really smooths the action. I put Wilson Combat spring kits in both of mine. Super upgrade to ant of them.

Back