Variation on the Smash and grab, WWYD

Blackwater OPS

Another poster posted this-
Parking lot smash and grab, WWYD?
OK. You arrive at work, the mall, medical office or your own driveway. You shut your motor off and proceed to exit your vehicle. You hear a loud noise and hear a glass car window shatter. They are distinctive when they shatter. You look to your right and observe a BG wearing a hooded sweat with blue denim jeans and white tennis shoes butt up leaning into a SUV. He then jumps down from the SUV with a ladies purse in his hands. He starts running away toward a partially hidden trash dumpster area or other remote location. What Would You Do?
I did not want to hijack the thread but it occured to me the the response might be different if you had a "taser"(the probe firing kind). These have been proven to reliably stop BGs without serious injury(the majority of the time, there are always exceptions). Assuming you had one, whould it change your response?

Call the police, notify the office so it can alert the owner of the car to immediately cancel any credit cards.

Stand back and watch the show.

Somebody else's money is not worth getting into hot water over especially if they were not responsible enough to safe guard their own possessions

I might have a tazer but i wouldnt want to approach the BG and have him pull a gun on me. ill call 911 and stay away.

Intresting Idea, but my response is still heck no for any sort of property crime, even if it was my oown truck that just got smashed;

1. Taser is still use of force, though less than leathal, for me a situation either merits me getting involved with porental use of force, or it does not, a perp fleeing from a property crime simply does not meet my criteria to put my butt in hot hot water of one kind or another.
2. Tasers are not 100% --- worst case if it fails and you have to move up the force spectrum or retreat.
3. If we had to move up the force spectrum we would be in a mildly bad to bad situation depending on the state, the responding officer, the press, the community and the local DA because we have basicly interjected ourselves into a situation that lead to use of force and potental or actual death where as if we stayed where we were none of this would have happened, for all we know that fleeing perp is all of 13 and only last week was a chior boy or at liest that is what they will print in the paper and say in cort as they try and take you for all you got.
4. If you really feel bad for the victum help them cancel their various forms of plastic and give them 100 bucks towards a new window, in the end it will be cheaper and less painfull that a buch of legal trouble, new taser cartrige, criminal defense etc.

Joab is right, make the best possible witness.

Never, ever go into harms way if you can avoid it. The first rule of self preservation is not being close to the fan when the gooey stuff is about to hit it.

0-0

Dont go chasing the fool, call 911 as soon as possible. The sooner the cops get there the sooner there is a realistic chance of actually catching Senor BG.

If you are really motivated, stay where you can see where he goes FROM A SAFE DISTANCE while on the 911 call. Don't go follow him into the dumptster though.... If you can see him get into a vehicle, get the tag and a description.

Basically be the world's best witness :D

Now if I see him hopping into my truck, I think I would handle that differently. I dont have a purse, or anything particularly valueable in there, but that window is expensive, and Senor BG can stick around proned out until the cops get there so he can pay for it.

Hero??

Sorry if I offend--but I carry a gun to defend me or my loved ones.

I am not a hero, not in law enforcement, and unless threatened with serious injury, or death, will be a witness. :)

The only exception would be if a child is involved.

If you chose otherwise, that is your business.

Back off, watch, and report the situation to the police. The only way I would get involved is if the innocent was in severe danger, or threat of death. Then I would most likely intervene. Depends on the situation, if I'm alone, if I have others with me whos safety I am responsible for, (ie wife, kids) ect....

Back