Vaquero need breakin?

scot

Inactive
Will be picking up my new vaquero on wednesday. I bought 100 new brass, 500 LRNFP and am getting ready to assemble some rounds for it. Question is should I shoot a couple boxes of FMJ to first to break it in? Smooth out the barrel, etc? Thanks.

I usually fire a hundred to two hundred jacketed bullets through a new gun before firing cast bullets. It may only be a superstition, but I'm convinced it helps reduce or even avoid leading.

There are many now who actually lap the barrels on new guns, but this seems too extreme to me.

scot-----What caliber is it? On the smaller bores you might want to do what you're talking about---On the larger bores I'm not sure if it would matter. I have 3 Super Blackhawks and all I have done is just load -shoot --and clean them--nothing special was done to them. All are very accurate with no problems to speak of.

Thanks Bob, Rugerfreak. It's a 45 colt. I picked up some bear creek 255g lrnfp moly coated bullets for it. I've been doing some browsing and it seems there may be issues in using the moly bullets. Some claim they have a VERY tough time getting the moly out of the barrel when cleaning. They say it's almost impossible to get it all out. Anyone have problems with moly bullets?

Back