Vaquero Lightning.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I like the Cimmaron Lightning - but I also like the fact that Ruger makes CAS guns in Stainless. Cimmaron doesnt do stainless.

Is it possible to get a Ruger reworked to have a Lightning style grip?

------------------
You might laugh in the face of FEAR... but unless your armed, its a nervous, unconvincing, little laugh.

Yes and no. Milt Morrison (Qualite, located in CO.) offers a "Birdshead" grip frame for the Vaquero. They are available from him directly or from Dillon Precision and Brownells. They run around 150 bucks for brass and 170 for stainless, complete with grips.
There was a Thunderer or Lightning grip frame available in a brass/bronze alloy. It was a "birdshaed" style with the added hump or pawl in the back strap. The man (located in FL.) with the mold that cast them changed the casting making them unserviceable. The "tabs" did not reach the top of the rear of the frame. Rodger Hunziker, owner of Phillips & Rodgers (and personal friend) and I were marketing them. I was the last one marketing and fitting them exclusively through my custom shop before the problem arose.
I have one grip frame left that I plan to make a Ruger Lightning with using a Single Six frame. It will be chambered in .41 Short Colt and feature among other things a Bisley hammer and trigger and lengthened cylinder flutes like the original Colts.

------------------
Gunslinger

LOL The single six frame/cylinder is not long enough to accomodate the .45 LC. Now the standard Vaquero frame on the other hand........ :D
Seriously, I do regret not keeping two of the grip frames. Single actions belong in pairs. However I did not know that the casting was going to be trashed. I saw two for sale in Tulsa at the big show in April. But without actually testing them next to the gun there is no way of knowing if they are the old serviceable ones or from the new mold. One was not even drilled yet. They were both over priced, in my opinion, at $200 and $175 respectively.

------------------
Gunslinger

Back