Vaquero BH

AndABeer

Picked up a gun mag annual while waiting at Wally World for automotive work to complete. Big mistake. I noticed the new Vaquero BH, that is, the Vaquero with a bird's head grip. Anyone shot one of these things? Are they comfortable at all? "Tombstone" was pure cheese but ever since that movie I have wanted a bird's head single action. Wonder if they'll make one with a dual cylinder (.45)?

More info here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85539

So far, none of the 3.75" barrel factory Ruger Vaqueros have been dual caliber. There have been two runs with standard grips (.357 and .45LC) and now this Bird's Head in .45LC.

For the same money as a factory bird's head, you can get a 4.6" barrel in .45LC/ACP and then add an aftermarket Bird's Head grip frame - or better yet, the NCO Lightning grip frame.

See this thread for a pretty good list of Ruger aftermarket parts:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872

As far as I can tell, these new Vaqueros are as scarce as hen's teeth. They are being distributed by allotment only. Davidson's would probably your best wholesale source as they are right across the street, literally, from one of the Ruger factories. I haven't tried Lipseys yet, but they are another good wholesale source for Ruger. I hope Ruger has the good sense to make a bird's head in 44mag. I would would definitely buy one or two!

Loaded with 44spl, it would be a hideout gun from hell!

Why a .44 over a .45LC, when you're interested in modest-power defense loads? A whole buncha companies load .45LC to levels more or less exactly duplicating the .45ACP defense loads, with the same projectiles at the same velocity. Yet the larger case volume means less peak pressure and less recoil. Including the Winchester Silvertip, a ProLoad JHP, all kinds of good stuff well-tested in the .45ACP world...which takes exactly the same bore, hence they recycle the same slugs and test data.

You could also get a second cylinder fitted up for genuine .45ACP, for more ammo choices, cheaper practice and you can thumb them in out of cheapo GI 1911 magazines used as $5 speedloaders :D.

The "hideout gun from hell" caliber is .45LC!

Back