vanguard s 2 vs model 70

I picked up a Vanguard S2 last year in 243 Winchester. The gun is going to be my deer and preditor rig, in other words just a hunting rifle. Prior to buying I looked at Ruger, Remington, Winchester and Weatherby. The most impressive of those rifles was the Winchester in my opinion but it also had the largest price tag. I decided on the Weatherby mostly due to trigger pull and price and I am very happy I did, the gun shoots awesome. I have shot two 1/4" groups with it while working up reloads which for me is the best I have ever done. I don't think you'd be unhappy with either rifle but if money is an issue I'm sure you'll find the Weatherby more than satisfactory.

If you don't care about controlled-round-feed, having the smoothest action, or having a rifle made in the U.S. and just want to shoot an accurate rifle the Weatherby is the way to go. The model 70 is my favorite rifle action and even the push-feed model 70 actions were nicer than most, IMO.

The fact is a smooth action doesn't make a gun shoot tiny groups. The Weatherby is proven to be a very accurate gun and it costs a lot less than the Winny. If money was no object i would get a Custom tube on a new model 70 action.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

The Winchester is a far better rifle, especially the new production models. The Vanguard is a good rifle for the money. The older versions are marked down to around $350 or even less in many places and truly are a lot of gun for the money. The new S-2's are near or over $500, and that is for the cheap plastic stock. I've not seen a wood stocked S-2 yet.

You don't mention price, or exactly which Winchester you are looking at but the Winchester is a much better rifle. If I could save $300-$400 that is the only way I'd consider the Vanguard.

I've got everything from a Sako 85, weatherby mark 5, to savages and custom mausers. I can honestly say my Vanguard 1st Gen is the most accurate rifle I own. It shoots 1/2 inch groups with just about any ammo. I did put a timney trigger it it. Now that the second generation vanguard has a new trigger, they are tough to beat.

Back