Vanguard 2 vs Xbolt

NHSHOOTER

I thought I had decided to get the x bolt then I got to think about the Vanguard of which I own 2, 1 is a S2 the other S1 in different calibers. Both shoot 1/2 in groups, I can get a S2 sporter which has a nice looking wood stock for 200 less than the x bolt. The only thing I am sure some will mention is the weight, the Vanguard is heavy to tote around (it would be my stand rifle). I am looking for some opinions before I pull the trigger.

Those are two rifles with a VERY different fit, the X-Bolt is a very light and slim "ultramodern" design where as the Vanguard is a traditional full sized Monte Carlo stock. I personally prefer the slim stock of the X-Bolt but I am a small framed shooter. Shoulder them both and go with whichever one fits you best.

I've shot Remington 700s most of my life and I recently bought a vanguard s2 in 257 weatherby and I absolutely love it. My brother in law shoots x-bolt and loves them so just go hold them and see which feels better

Just yesterday at the range a gentleman next to me has a brand new vandgard in 7mm topped with a 4x14x5 meopta.He after some conversation told me he is new to shooting and has all new eguipment getting ready to go on a wolf hunt in Canada in 3 weeks.I told him I would spot for him.He started at 100 yards with a bore sighted system.First shot centered n 6'hi.I showed him how to adjust elevation n windage.3 shots later he had good tight groups on the bullseye he could not be more happy with his new vanguard.

"He started at 100 yards with a bore sighted system.First shot centered n 6'hi.I showed him how to adjust elevation n windage.3 shots later he had good tight groups on the bullseye he could not be more happy with his new vanguard."

I certainly would not zero a 7mmRem mag dead on @ 100 yards but if the noob was happy, good enough. A +1-1.5" 100 yard zero would have added about 100 yards to his "hold on brown" range.

Regarding the Vanguard vs X-bolt: IMHO, the Vanguard S2 is hard to beat on any level. It's a nicer looking profile than the other and every one of the Vanguards I've shot has been above average in accuracy. The S2 seems to have overcome the original trigger hitches while retaining the lower price point.

I'd be willing to bet it's a guided hunt... I'm sure they'll require him to fire a few shots when he arrives. At that point his guide should make recommendations about how the rifle should be zeroed.

Back