VangComp System

corsair

I've shot several owner's shotguns that have the Vang Comp system of barrel porting and receiver work. It worked great! Reduced recoil with 3" magnum slugs, acurate at 75 yards, tight milkshake cup group with 00 at 15 yards. Can anyone weigh-in with their opinion before I convert my 870?

Never heard a bad word about Vang,Corsair. Not essential, but nice.

OTOH, my serious 870s work every time, pattern nicely for my purposes, and didn't cost more than maybe $250 each. Work includes decent triggers, peep sights, lengthened forcing cones,mag extensions, and lots of ammo.

Just make sure you have the money for the work and extra for all the ammo and practice you are going to do, and one other thing if you send in a benelli be prepared to spend the guns original cost and wait a long, long, long, time to get it back.

Got my 870 a while back and am very happy with it, I just wish I didnt have 5shot revolvers and 1911s that need modification in addtion to bolt guns and the assorted high cap 308's that can allways be tinkered with.Too much time and money plus energy to figure it all out, in additon to the new gm 502CID crate motor I want for my truck. Guess I Gotta find me a rich wifey :D

Best of luck, I like mine just fine, also think about the tritium for at least the front site if you get the MMC, they are also great, I couldnt be more happy with the sights, esp after loosing the peep out of my benelli factory sights, those factory sights will be long gone after I get the benelli back.

I didn't get the stellar results you describe (milkshake cup pattern at 15 yd) - I ended up with a little more than 1/2" spread per yard, which would be about an 8" pattern at 15 yd. I can't fault Vang or his process, though - the gun fired a huge pattern before ("minute of trash can lid"). There's only so much he can do.

Also, they leave the bore just slightly rough with machine marks. They say this slows the wad down for a cleaner muzzle release. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and the price you pay is terrible leading any time you shoot a load not in a plastic shot cup (like a slug).

Here's the first bad word on Vang, then, Dave - whoever worked on my barrel at Vang put a big vise mark on the magazine tube ring, and a nick on the muzzle. Luckily, it's on the outside edge. This keeps the streak going - I've never had a gunsmith who didn't damage something.

Bottom line? If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the money on another barrel, gambling I'd get one that patterned better to begin with, then I might send it to Vang, or I might send it to someone else to have choke tubes installed.

My 870 MM will now put 9 pellets of 00 into less than 4 inches at 10 yards. Puts most of a regular #8 bird load into a 4 inch+ circle at the same distance... Used to be more like 16 inches before the work was done. AMAZING results. Best money I ever spent. Hans is GREAT to deal with and the turnaround is quick.

Ben

JEFF, I found out that the best way to get that lead out is to coat a patch with usp bore paste and wrap it around an old bore brush and then scrub out the lead areas, the barrel will get pretty warm after a while but you do this a few times and it is like new. Maybe use some shooters choice in between scrubbings with the bore paste to clean up the barrela and to let you see wherer the lead is located, when you see it use the bore/patch/usp paste coated head to scrub that exact spot, you may have to use a little lateral pressure on the rod to hit that area especially hard, just dont rub the edge of the chamber. You many need as many as thirty to fifty strokes over the area for each patch. This has worked in my vang barrel great, it looks perfect when I am done. And btw I like to shoot slugs when I go out. Hope it helps.

Bennett, been a while, we'll still party one of these days.

Back