Value of used Remington 700 sps tactical 308

Huh12345

Hi,

I have a Remington 700 sps tactical .308 with a Nikon bdc buck master 3x9x40 Scope. It is in excellent condition with no more than 200 rounds through it. How much can I expect to get for it?

Around 70-80% of what a comparable new rifle sells for. Take the scope off and sell separately, it won't bring a dime more with the scope.

^^^ Good estimate and excellent advice about the scope. You may also want to keep, or sell separately, the scope rings and bases since they will not get you a dollar if you leave them on the rifle.

Last edited:
70-80% is only good if you sell it yourself, if you trade it in expect 50% or less. What don't you like about the rifle that makes you want to sell it?

The finish on it isn't good imo. The integral magazine is a nussence. The stock is mediocre. The action feels pretty loose. And quite frankly the rifle I plan to replace it with (the tikka t3x lite stainless) seems like a significant upgrade given my personal preference. Not a fan of the trigger. The 700 has been ok but I have some issues that are hard to get by at this point. There are definitely a lot of positives with the gun but I guess in my mind the tikka is much better for what I want (an accurate, durable, low risk of rusting rifle)

Huh, the last factor is location. Guns sell used for differing amounts depending on demand, and that varies according to area.

As an example, I live in Wyoming. Shotguns here sell for quite a bit less then they do one state over, in Nebraska. We just don't have the birds Nebraska has.
However lever action 45-70s go high here. We have a lot of grizzlies.
A heavy barreled 308 in Wyoming will sell for less then the same rifle in Nebraska too, because of the weight and the fact that we have steep mountains here, so many hunters don't want a real heavy rifle.

Location is important.

It may be best for you to visit a few gun-shops in the area around you and see what they are asking for used Heavy Barreled Rem 700s around you. If you take that as a base line figure and deduct about $25 from their price it's a good bet you can sell your 700 in a reasonable time period.

An SPS is an entry level hunting rifle. MSRP on an unscoped, new, one is only $788. "Tactical" is a marketing term only.
There's one of 'em with a scope(Leupold VX-R Patrol Tactical Scope) on GunBroker with the fanciful name of "Tactical Sniper Rifle System" listed at $565 that didn't sell with only 3 bids. Last day today and ended early too.
"...Location is important..." Yep, but not as much as the time of year. March, not being close to deer season anywhere, is a lousy time to sell an entry level deer rifle. At any price.
Like taylorce1 says, trading it will get you far less. Dealers base trade values on their wholesale price and how fast they think they can sell it. Time of year thing for them as well.
Take the scope off and put it on the Tikka.

Huh12345 said:
The finish on it isn't good imo. The integral magazine is a nussence. The stock is mediocre. The action feels pretty loose. And quite frankly the rifle I plan to replace it with (the tikka t3x lite stainless) seems like a significant upgrade given my personal preference. Not a fan of the trigger. The 700 has been ok but I have some issues that are hard to get by at this point. There are definitely a lot of positives with the gun but I guess in my mind the tikka is much better for what I want (an accurate, durable, low risk of rusting rifle)

I'll agree that the finish isn't great on the SPS, but it can be fixed with a DuraCoat kit at home. It'll have a more rust resistant finish on the coated metal than stainless steel. However, the stainless barrel would have longer wear in the chamber and bore. That said the .308 isn't really hard on barrels.

The action is supposed to be loose so it doesn't bind. It should lock up tight when you close the bolt. If there is play with the bolt closed then you have a problem, other than that it's working as designed. I don't understand nuisance of the of the magazine, but every internal M700 magazine I've had has worked as intended.

Trigger can be replaced or you can have a gunsmith who works on them adjust it and make it better. Remington 700 have more replacement stocks available than any other make of rifle so that's easily replaced as well. You have options to fix the rifle to what you like but it'll cost more money, and that's the down side.

However, you're looking at trading in your rifle for the Tikka. Before you take that trade, consider the difference you'll have to pay. Will that extra money you have to come up with go a long way to fixing your issues with your current M700.

Also Tikkas will rust, and rust quickly if you use them in the rain a lot and don't take care of them at the end of each day. I hunted Alaska in the rain for a week, and even though I wiped down my T/C Encore every day with oil after I dried it, I still had rust on my stainless steel rifle by the time I got home. IMO the new coatings you can use on rifles are far superior to any stainless finish as far as corrosion resistance goes.

From what I have heard from friends and just generally, the tikka is more accurate and has a smoother action. The stock is better in my opinion, the stainless isn't totally rust resistant but will be much more rust resistant than the 700 finish, and the detachable magazine is my personal preference. From what I hear the tikka trigger is better. I just can't justify putting 300-400 bucks into this 700 when I can get a tikka that is just overall much better out of the box for not that much more than I bought the 700 for.

I paid $350 retail for a new 700 SPS Tactical a few years ago. Unless yours is a proven great shooter, I don't see you getting that much back out of it. Tikkas are very nice rifles but I don't see anything like a bargain price on them.

Your 700 will likely amount to no more than a down payment on the upgrade.

The general rule of gun trading is that the gun you have is crap and the one you want is golden.

Back