Value of pre-19

Hutch

I have just acquired 4-screw S&W Combat Magnum, the pre-M19. The Standard catalogue shows the S/N as being within 220 of the last of the pre-19's. It has 4" bbl, and has tight lockup, good timing, and seems to have been shot little. No box, papers, etc. The blueing is faintly worn at the muzzle, and it has a light drag line around the cylinder. It has 2 spots, about the size of collar buttons, one on either side of the frame, just above the front portion of the trigger guard, where the blueing is missing. No rust, pitting, or etching there. Just shiny metal. Maybe holster-tensioning screw wear? Dunno. Several questions occur to me.

1. The grips are the diamond checkered target stocks, yet they have the relief on the left side for a speed loader. Is this correct for this gun?
2. If these grips are not correct, what is?
3. Any guesses as to what a the value of this guns is? I traded a revolver for it, and the owner had bought it for a song, so we're both pleased, but if this is a very valuable item, my conscience will require me to re-visit the deal.

I don't find any special treatment given to pre frame numbered 19s in my Blue Book (Fjestad).

So think it would value like any other 19. Barrel, trigger, hammer, condition etc would determine worth.......cept it is worth what one would pay.

Sam

Re: The stocks - - -

"Goncalo Alves Target Style" were standard on the four-inch Combat Magnums. If the "relief on the left side for a speed loader" is a small, dished-out area, but the upper edge pretty much matches the coutour of the right-side stock, it is probably factory. This is more in the nature of a thumb rest area. Later stocks had a deep, inverted "C" shape, exposing the metal, for easy use of speed loaders. Speed loaders were not in common use when that revolver was manufactured.

Sounds as if you have a very nice handgun there, but, with the finish wear you describe, I don't believe you should feel obligated to offer additional money/trade goods to the former owner. A bargain is truly a bargain when both sides are satisfied. :)

Best,
Johnny

Thanks guys. In an offline conversation (I still have those, you know, analogue/real-time:D ) with a friend, he told me that what I was describing as a speedloader relief was actually a thumbrest. That's a load off my mind. While its condition may not qualify it as a collector, I will be very sparing in my use. I have some others to use for trail guns, plinkers, plates, etc. Hmmmm.... think we'll call that "plodders, plinkers, and plates". Oh my!

Editted to add: The other principal in the trade has tried out my trade bait, and reports complete satisfaction. Sounds like we're both whole.

Sounds like a good deal all around. Maybe in pristine condition a pre-M19 would have added value, but yours sounds like a shooter in very good shape. The grips sound original or at least contemporary with the gun. Enjoy it.

Back