Value of old vaquero?

sixgunnin

I found a stainless old Vaquero in 45 colt with a 4.62'' barrel that I think might be a bargain. It looks to be in really good shape, so what is the most any of you would want to pay for one?
Can I swap the round ejector rod for a crescent one? What about the hammer, can I swap that for a new style one?

'Old' is a relative term. First Vaqueros came out in 1993 and that's not long ago. snicker.
There's a 1999 vintage Vaquero claiming to be 4.5"(no such thing from Ruger. Should be 4 5/8's. That's 4.625".) case coloured framed(isn't. It's just a finish.) revolver on Gunbroker. The guy is asking $509.00. 80 views with no bids. Another at $650 and one that didn't sell at $499.99.
Not sure about changing parts. Newer models are smaller than the originals. Think you need to find out for sure when the thing was made.

You don't need to know the actual year of manufacture, just read what it says on the gun.

Frame, left side, below the cylinder, it will say either "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero". The original Vaquero (now sometimes called "old" ) is the larger gun, made on the same frame size as the .44 NewModel Blackhawk. It was discontinued when the New Vaquero was introduced.

It's easy to confuse the guns when speaking about them, but when you have them in hand, its easy to tell them apart, by size & weight, and they have their correct names on them.

Vaqueros will handle the "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads. A New Vaquero will not.

If you want a gun closest in size and looks to the Colt, get the NEW VAQUERO.

Howdy

Logo_original_Vaquero_zpst1mywze4.jpg

Logo_New_Vaquero_zpszjg5z1zs.jpg

Not sure about changing about parts either. If it is a New Vaquero, there are a couple of different hammers available. 'original model' Vaquero should take the Super Blackhawk hammer. No idea about ejector rods,

Howdy Again

Last time I bought an 'original model' Vaquero I paid about $250 for it, IIRC. But that was over ten years ago. No idea what they are going for now.

Back