Value of Colt King Cobra

big al hunter

Fellow wheel gun lovers, I have been searching for a .357 mag revolver for several months. My original plan was to find a Ruger GP100. It would go quite nicely with my Super Redhawk and Redhawk. But today I went to my LGS to see what they have....and there is a Colt King Cobra under the glass. It is in very good condition. They want $1050.00 for it. Is it worth that, or should I keep looking for a Ruger? What is the current going price for a Cobra? Almost forgot, it's stainless with a 6" barrel. And I am familiar with Colt quality. I had an Anaconda for several years. I would be happy with either the Colt or a Ruger. (Probably don't hear that very often, do ya?)

I had a new King Cobra back in the day. It was economical then.

I happily traded it off for a Sears model 50 rifle. I still fell I got the better end of the deal.

My department store Sears is the finest rifle I own.

big al, Is that an original/real King Cobra you're looking at? Or is that the new little "King Cobra" which is more like a smaller Diamondback size revolver. If it is the original type, prices between that and the new "King Cobra" may not be directly comparable. If it is the original KC, similar to a S&W L-Frame in size, I'd check for recent completed sales on GB for actual selling prices....

f it is the original KC, similar to a S&W L-Frame in size, I'd check for recent completed sales on GB for actual selling prices....
Yep. That's the only way to determine the true value of anything. See what people are actually paying for it.
We check the model's selling history on GunBroker for every gun that someone brings into the shop to trade or sell.

I decided to wait a few days and go back. If it's still there I will check the serial number and do a thorough check out for function and timing. Maybe I will make an offer after that.

If you are buying this as a shooter I would keep looking for something with better availability of parts and factory support.
Original King Cobras are collectibles now and parts can be hard to get and expensive.
And forget about Colt helping you out if you buy this gun and there is a problem.

If it's in good shape, that seems like a good price for an original King. If you want a shooter, the new King is an excellent gun. Smaller frame, but shoots very well and the recoil isn't bad.

If you want a collector, but the old one. If you want a shooter, buy the new King.

If you want a collector, but the old one. If you want a shooter, buy the new King.
Thanks Kreyzhorse, the new version is too short to be legal for hunting in my state, unless they offer a 4". The only model I saw was a bit shorter. The Colt website didn't show any other length in production.

I'd almost bet that when you go back it'll be gone.

Note that timing is very different on the later Colt's like the original King Cobra, and is nothing like the Colt's like the Python and Official Police.

Here's info on how to test the original Mark III/King Cobra for correct timing....

This covers post-1969 Colt DA revolvers, to include:
The Trooper Mark III, Lawman, Metropolitan Police, Official Police Mark III, Trooper Mark V Lawman Mark V, Peacekeeper, and King Cobra.
This "probably" covers the Anaconda and the new small frame revolvers based on the "SF" frame, like the SF-VI, the DS-II, and the Magnum Carry since these are all based on the King Cobra.
The newest Colt's like the New Cobra, New King Cobra, and 2020 Python are different.

BOLT RETRACTION AND DROP.
In these guns, the bolt retraction and drop is judged by TRIGGER movement.
The bolt should begin to retract within 1/6 to 1/4 of the triggers total movement and drop after about 2/3 of it's total arc.
This is NOT 1/6 to 1/4 INCHES, it's total trigger movement.

BOLT ACTION.
Open the cylinder and look at the small "lug" in the lower frame window.
This is the cylinder locking bolt.
Slowly cock the hammer and watch the bolt as it retracts.
When the bolt begins to retract, it should move smoothly in, then pop back out with a clean "SNAP".
There should be little or no mushy or hesitant movement.

BOLT DROP.
Close the cylinder and slowly cock the hammer.
Watch the TRIGGER AND the BOLT.
The trigger should move between 1/6 and 1/4 of its arc before the bolt begins to retract.
What's critical here is that the bolt MUST be retracted enough to be completely free of the cylinder locking notch BEFORE the cylinder begins to rotate.

BOLT DROP.
Again, the standard for bolt drop is based on TRIGGER movement.
The Bolt should drop after about 2/3 of the trigger's total travel.
What's critical here is, the bolt should remain retracted away from the cylinder while the cylinder rotates past the locking notch, and then drop back onto the cylinder before the trigger gets too close to the end of it's movement.
This is NOT like the older Colt's, the bolt on these later models is designed to "ride" on the cylinder for most of it's rotation. This is more like a S&W then the older Colt's.

CYLINDER LOCKING.
Before the hammer is cocked, the bolt MUST drop into the cylinder locking notch, locking the cylinder.
Unlike the older Colt actions, there's a wide range of adjustment allowed, and the bolt DOES NOT drop into the lead to the cylinder locking notch.
Since the bolt rides the cylinder for most of it's rotation, these Colt's will have finish wear almost all the way around the cylinder like S&W's do.

The design of the hand in these revolvers is also more S&W-like, in that LENGTH is not a factor, WIDTH is the critical dimension.
For this reason, these revolvers seldom develop "hammer's cocked, but cylinder isn't locked" problems.
The old Colt's were checked for tight lock up by pulling the trigger and holding it back to check for a solid cylinder lock up. These newer revolvers are not checked with this method since the cylinder MUST be slightly loose, just like the S&W, Ruger, and most other revolvers.
With the hammer cocked, the cylinder is as tightly locked as it's going to get.
The cylinder is designed NOT to lock tightly but to have slight cylinder rotational movement when the trigger is pulled.
This allows the bullet to force the chamber into alignment with the barrel.

Unlike the older Colt's, these guns are designed to have parts replaced, and CANNOT be re-fitted or re-tuned. If they have a problem, new parts are installed.
Also unlike the old Colt's, parts cannot be altered or even polished much. The parts are sintered steel with a thin, glass hard coating.
Any attempt to polish, heat and bend, or alter parts will break through the coating, destroying the part.

As you can see, the timing is much less critical here, and you live with what ya got.
There's little tuning beyond spring kits, and NO re-fitting of worn parts.
To make up for all this, you get what Master Gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen believed was the strongest mid-frame revolver ever built, including the Ruger's.

So, the bolt should retract before the cylinder begins to rotate.

The bolt should drop back onto the cylinder before the trigger gets too close to the end of it's movement, the sooner the better.

The bolt should lock the cylinder before the hammer gets even close to cocked.

If there's a problem of any kind, the action CANNOT be re-fitted or repaired by normal methods.
If there is a problem, the ONLY "fix" is parts replacement.

These actions are assembled and repaired by selecting a part from a bin, and test fitting it.
If it doesn't fit, another part is selected.
This makes it tough for local gunsmith's who don't HAVE a bin full of parts.

Thanks to all who have given their advice. I was going to go to the store today and see if they still had the King Cobra and look it over real carefully. But I decided to stop at a pawn shop that I haven't been to for over a year. They usually don't have a very large stock of guns. But today they had a brand new Ruger GP100 in 357 mag. I looked it over and laid my money down. Just waiting on the background check. Clerk said the county is taking the full 10 days. So, in about 10 days I will go pick it up.

big al, I have a GP100, and think you probably made the right choice. We had an original King Cobra, that appeared to be in excellent condition, in the armory where I worked. By Dfariswheel's criterion, it did not even come close to timing up properly....

I bought a Police Trade-In Ruger GP100 years ago for $300 and it is a GREAT shooting pistol. Very nice trigger and is super accurate. This is the one I carry deer hunting.
HeX19qZl.jpg

I also have a Smith 686 and owned a older Colt King Cobra and all were good guns. I sold my Colt about a year ago for $1,200.

Back