Value of CMP "Field Grade" Winchester Garand

Cossack

i've been offered a trade that would make me the owner of a Garand, with a 1944 Winchester receiver, unmarked dark old stock in good condition. The seller got the rifle from the CMP as a "field grade." As I understand it, the parts are mixed.

Since the CMP is currently out of Field grades, I'm having a hard time estimating the realistic market value of this rifle. Obviously there is variation between "field grade" guns, but a rough ballpark range will help me out. It seems like this might be a good investment, as well as a fun shooter.

thanks for any thought, estimates, or advice.

Hi. There's a Springfield FG currently on Gunbroker at $1,199. Condition is everything. Field grades were sold as being in "Fair to good condition.", so 'good' will be worth a bit more.
Got any of the assorted erosion/wear tools? Having actual numbers will make it easier to set a value.
"...a fun shooter..." Yep. Even one in mediocre condition has the mystique. There's just something about an M1 that no other rifle has. Think IMR4064 and 150 to 180 grain bullets.

I wouldn't value it that high but it is a Winchester. So maybe.

They will get field grades again according to the email. They were $630 a month ago before they stopped taking orders for awhile.

I would value it at $700 plus whatever premium you place on it being a Winchester.

I figure $70 for not having to wait, jump through the Cmp hoops.

I'd go between $700 to $900 without seeing it. CMP is cheaper than secondary market as well so the value will vary. Also, I might be wrong but Winchester only built them during WWII. That adds a cool factor to the gun.

Personally I own a H&R M1 in new wood.. It is post WWII but the bolt is a confirmed Winchester. Will most of gun likely never saw any action, the bolt likely did. No way to tell, but it is still a wonderful slice of history. Plus, if you have never shot an M1, you will love it.

The gun stock seems to flex like modern guns don't. The ping of the empty clip is also wonderful to behold.

What would an H&R 1955 issue that looks almost unfired be worth? Finish wear where the op rod slides back and forth is almost non-exitant. I have a chance to buy it but need an idea of the worth. No sign of copper in the barrel. Current owner and I both think it may have only been function fired at the factory.
Paul B.

1944 era Win. field grade?- probably $750-900 tops in my book.

H&R 1955 in excellent condition? - $1000-1200 is my guess.

One of the commonly reported problems with CMP has always, well at least since I bought from them, been the rifles can immediately resold by the buyer for a profit. My understanding is it was originally a one rifle per lifetime limit. Although that might be extreme, I think there are some people abusing it now.

Anyways, CMP price has nothing to do with value on the secondary market.
With a rebarrel that Winchester would almost certainly be a much better gun than a lightly used commercial "Springfield Armory." At some oint not too far off in the future the supply will runt out. At that point prices will REALLY sky rocket. With that in mind, you won't get burned at any of the prices mentioned above.

$700 sounds about right, I don't think there's a big surcharge for just the Winchester receiver. It's a huge pain to put together a correct Winchester that people pay the high value for, unless you e.g. also have a Winchester op-rod in it you're not going to see a lot of collector interest.

Winchester M1 value?

Depends on a few details. If you can closely inspect the rifle and see and know just how many Winchester made parts are on the rifle. If it is just the receiver and no other parts I'd put the value at $600/650.
What is your intended use for the rifle? Take it shooting a couple times a year? Or every other weekend to a match? Or hang the rifle over the mantle?
Value goes up with more Winchester parts. A Winchester receiver with correct barrel, even shot out would have more value, not much, than a late issue mixed parts rifle.

As said, the CMP isn't out of Garands, they just suspended sales so they can play catch up.

I attended the CMP's AMC last Aug. and when touring the warehouses we saw several of pallets of M1s.

Winchester isn't a premium M1. When Winchester made M1's they was a dispute between them and the Org. Dept, USArmy. Winchester didn't use their choice gun makers, instead hired new workers, saving their top quality people to work on Winchester Firearms.

That hurt the quality of the Winchester Garands. People taking the AMC, tended to avoid Winchester parts. Personally I went for "all Springfield" parts.

Personally I wouldn't go over the $630 price. If you just have to have a M1, I'd shop around.

JMHO

Good condition WRA mixmaster Garands sell everyd sigle day in the $1000 range. If it has a WRA barrel price goes up

Back