Value of a semiauto Spitfire in 45ACP

Vanguard.45

Any idea on the value of such a weapon?

I see a lot of full auto Spitifires for sale on various sites, but no semiautos. A buddy has one for sale and no one seems to know a ballpark on a price for the semi version.

Thanks in advance!

Vanguard.45

Quite possibly!

I am not sure if the law has changed.

Maybe someone can provide insight and a potential price.

Thanks for the information.

Sams

I'm not so sure about the "All Spitfires are considered mechineguns". The "problem" with them according to the ATF was their open bolt method of operation, as it was relatively easy to convert to full auto.

IIRC, In the 80's or so the ATF declared these semi-auto open bolt designs "readily convertible into a machinegun" and banned new manufacture, but any in circulation were grandfathered in. Open bolt semi-auto MAC-10's are still for sale on the used market, but typically command a collectors premium. I don't see how the Spitfire would be any different.

Yes, if you built a new one today the ATF would declare it a MG, but not the ones built before that ruling. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm pretty sure the ATF supplied a pamphlet in 1968-69 on NFA weapons.
Either the Spitfire or the Eagle carbine was specifically listed. The guns are very similar, but I don't remember which one was in the pamphlet.

Crosshair-
You're reading way too much into it. Open bolt firearms are not necessarily NFA items. The Spitfire carbine was DECLARED a machinegun in 1968 as Mapsjapan's link shows. That is the same info in the 1968 pamphlet. They were not declared a machinegun simply because they were open bolt firearms.
They had a design (flaw) that allowed them to be fired automatically.

Well crap, it looks like I was wrong, the Spitfirers were indeed declared MG's in 68. So unless its registered the best options are to either destroy it or shovel and shut up.

Back