Value of a pre-64 Mod 70?

MOLEXEY

Any Winchester experts here? I'm trying to get an estimate on the value of a pre-64 Mod 70 in 30-06. Condition is 75-80%, un-modified with serial # in the 205XXX range. I've been told it was made prior to 1952 if that makes any difference. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Martin,

According to the book, The Rifleman's Rifle, by Rodger Rule, your M-70 was made in December of 1951.

If this is a standard rifle and not a Super Grade, I would guess the value to be about $450.00 in the condition you described and assuming the bore is acceptable. Standard rifles in 30-06 are the most common variation in M-70's and are the least valuable of the pre-64's.

You have a good shooter or the heart of a very fine custom rifle!

Cactus, thanks for the info. I considering a trade for this rifle and wanted to be educated before makeing an offer. How would I tell if it's a Super grade? If it is then what is the value?

Martin

[This message has been edited by MOLEXEY (edited May 10, 2000).]

Martin,

A Super Grade will have "Super Grade" engraved on the floor plate. It will also have a black forend tip and inletted sling swivels.

I am uncertain what the value of a Super Grade would be but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 to $800. However, in 75% to 80% condition, it may be worth less.

Back